QBank worth the $?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjackrian

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started my studying by reviewing and doing questions from U World. I have made it through UWorld now and am looking to work my way through another question bank before my exam which is the first week in June. My initial thought was to go with Kaplan's QBank, but at $200, it seems very expensive. Is it worth it to get it, or would I be better off saving my money and working with USMLERx or another question bank?
Thanks for any help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I started my studying by reviewing and doing questions from U World. I have made it through UWorld now and am looking to work my way through another question bank before my exam which is the first week in June. My initial thought was to go with Kaplan's QBank, but at $200, it seems very expensive. Is it worth it to get it, or would I be better off saving my money and working with USMLERx or another question bank?

Qbank might be the right thing for you

You machine! It's awesome that you got done so early. How much time do you have left? Have you already done the NBME's? A few threads around here sorta discuss this, a few options are: redo UW and really pay attention to the explanations; go back through each NBME released Q and really research each one; or just sit back and memorize First Aid til your eyes go numb. I know that doesn't help, but just a few options that were thrown around before.

I really like Q-bank! I think it's worth doing. Maybe UW is more realistic, but there's still a lot you can get out of Q-bank.

I'm going to do UW, too, but I'm saving it until my exam date moves closer.

Members don't see this ad :)
You machine! It's awesome that you got done so early. How much time do you have left? Have you already done the NBME's? A few threads around here sorta discuss this, a few options are: redo UW and really pay attention to the explanations; go back through each NBME released Q and really research each one; or just sit back and memorize First Aid til your eyes go numb. I know that doesn't help, but just a few options that were thrown around before.

Hehe--I wish I was a machine. It had more to do with my doing thoroughly mediocrely in my classes, so for the last couple of blocks I felt like I had more time to do boards-type studying since I wasn't as worried about doing really well on each unit exam. So I guess in some sense mediocrity pays?

I thought about doing the First Aid straight memorizing route, but I'm a TERRIBLE memorizer and have a much better time learning things when I'm answering questions or otherwise am more actively engaged in what I'm learning. Thanks for the suggestion though--I'm planning to start taking NBME's next week to key in on what to focus on reviewing.

UCLAstudent said:
I really like Q-bank! I think it's worth doing. Maybe UW is more realistic, but there's still a lot you can get out of Q-bank.

Thanks! Good to hear that people do like it and feel it adds something to their studying. I think you made the right move doing Qbank first and saving UW for the end--I think doing UW now AFTER having done more review knowledge questions would have been better for me. C'est la vie.

Thanks! Good to hear that people do like it and feel it adds something to their studying. I think you made the right move doing Qbank first and saving UW for the end--I think doing UW now AFTER having done more review knowledge questions would have been better for me. C'est la vie.

Honestly, either way is good I think. You should be used to doing questions by now, hopefully you've been doing them timed. People have been having success with Qbank for years. Just because a few others including myself decided to do one over the other doesn't make Qbank a bad question bank.

i agree, so far it seems like there have been a mixture of good questions with some poor questions interspersed within them (ie: one question asking about what % of a certain complication one might expect from a disease....i thought that seemed kinda nitpicky, but correct me if i am wrong).... so i haven't felt like it was a total waste of money buying qbank, although i wish it had more pictures.......