qbank wrong about brachial plexus roots?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suckerfree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
weird anatomy q bank explanation regarding brachial plexus:

Okay, sensation to the hand is ulnar n. (whose roots are C8, T1, +/- C7) and median n. (C5 - T1). Radial nerve is for forearm extension (also C5 - T1), wrist flexion is median n. (C5 - T1)

Could someone explain to me how qbank could say, "C5 is not involved in elbow extension, wrist flexion, or hand sensation."

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Different roots are more prominant than others depending on which muscles you're looking at. For most practical purposes, C5 is mainly deltoid and some biceps. Any other muscle will only minimally be affected by losing C5, and the forearm has practically no C5 innervation. Extension of the elbow is Triceps which is mostly C7. For sensation, review your dermatomal distributions. C5 sensation ends at the wrist.

Rogue_Leader said:
Different roots are more prominant than others depending on which muscles you're looking at. For most practical purposes, C5 is mainly deltoid and some biceps. Any other muscle will only minimally be affected by losing C5, and the forearm has practically no C5 innervation. Extension of the elbow is Triceps which is mostly C7. For sensation, review your dermatomal distributions. C5 sensation ends at the wrist.

thanks. its been about 2 years for me since I looked at the brachial plexus.