PhD/PsyD QMHP Title?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneNeuroDoctor

Clinical Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently transferred to a different NHSC site and I am now working at a center that has all of the licensed mental health professionals LPC, LCSW, LMFT, and Psychologist use the QMHP as their title. I worked very hard to obtain licensure as a psychologist and prefer to use either Dr. or PsyD in my signature with Licensed Psychologist. I am now working at a multi site nationwide agency/corporation where each site has MD/DO, ARNP/PA, Psychologist, LPC, LCSW, or LMFT, two RN's and one office staff in the Behavioral Health Unit and we are integrated with Medical Unit which has mostly LPN, RN's, ARNP, Dentist, Ophthalmologist, PA, and one to two MD/DO. Although nobody knows each others salaries it seems assumed that the Psychologist position is the highest salary out of the LPC, LCSW, LMFT positions and I have felt subtle and obvious hostilities directed my way.

We were meeting recently where training of each specialty was discussed and unfortunately it seemed that turf issues are developing and it seems that the master's level trained staff have a biased in favor of master's level over doctoral level training believing the only difference is training in psychometrics at the doctoral level despite my clarification of doctoral level training being comprehensive and integrated rather than being a psychometrist. Rather than engage in trying to justify the differences in training, I have resorted to try to limit my interactions with the MS trained staff. The LMSW who is the administrative supervisor has asked me to not use Dr. or PsyD in my signature and to use QMHP in all of my paperwork. I have continued to use PsyD and Psychologist but not use Dr. After all of the years of working to become a DR. I am now being told that it is confusing to the patients and they believe I am a MD or DO so they would prefer that I use QMHP. I have informed the supervisor that I am aware of the Psychologist at the other sites around the state and country for this large corporation using Dr. or PhD or PsyD in their title and that I am authorized to use such titles by the Psychology Board and my training.

I am curious if other doctoral level psychologist have had similar issues working in a Integrated FQHC where you may be the only PhD/PsyD. My job description indicated Psychologist with clinical supervisory responsibilities over MS level staff when needed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Recently transferred to a different NHSC site and I am now working at a center that has all of the licensed mental health professionals LPC, LCSW, LMFT, and Psychologist use the QMHP as their title. I worked very hard to obtain licensure as a psychologist and prefer to use either Dr. or PsyD in my signature with Licensed Psychologist. I am now working at a multi site nationwide agency/corporation where each site has MD/DO, ARNP/PA, Psychologist, LPC, LCSW, or LMFT, two RN's and one office staff in the Behavioral Health Unit and we are integrated with Medical Unit which has mostly LPN, RN's, ARNP, Dentist, Ophthalmologist, PA, and one to two MD/DO. Although nobody knows each others salaries it seems assumed that the Psychologist position is the highest salary out of the LPC, LCSW, LMFT positions and I have felt subtle and obvious hostilities directed my way.

We were meeting recently where training of each specialty was discussed and unfortunately it seemed that turf issues are developing and it seems that the master's level trained staff have a biased in favor of master's level over doctoral level training believing the only difference is training in psychometrics at the doctoral level despite my clarification of doctoral level training being comprehensive and integrated rather than being a psychometrist. Rather than engage in trying to justify the differences in training, I have resorted to try to limit my interactions with the MS trained staff. The LMSW who is the administrative supervisor has asked me to not use Dr. or PsyD in my signature and to use QMHP in all of my paperwork. I have continued to use PsyD and Psychologist but not use Dr. After all of the years of working to become a DR. I am now being told that it is confusing to the patients and they believe I am a MD or DO so they would prefer that I use QMHP. I have informed the supervisor that I am aware of the Psychologist at the other sites around the state and country for this large corporation using Dr. or PhD or PsyD in their title and that I am authorized to use such titles by the Psychology Board and my training.

I am curious if other doctoral level psychologist have had similar issues working in a Integrated FQHC where you may be the only PhD/PsyD. My job description indicated Psychologist with clinical supervisory responsibilities over MS level staff when needed.

1. How does this negatively impact your job functions?

2. You are not responsible for role confusion as long as you identify yourself by your proper credentials and reasonably explain it in contrast to the other providers they may be seeing at the agency.

3. Introduce yourself as Dr. so-and-so to patients and if administrators don't like it then you should probably work somewhere else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How does this negatively impact your job functions? Introduce yourself as Dr. so-and-so to patients and if administrators don't like it then you should probably work somewhere else.

I use Dr. to introduce myself to patients despite being told it confuses patient. I am using my degree rather than Dr when signing. A MSW told me to not use Dr. as it is misleading the patient, so I told her I have a doctoral degree and I am a Dr. She is not talking to me now and we are suppose to be a treatment team :).

Members don't see this ad :)
Email:

“Dear HR: I am being informed by Mrs. X that this company’s policy is to mislead patients and use a non legally recognized professional title. If this is accurate, would this company be willing to create a rider to my contract that will allow the company to assume any and all liability for actions that arise from me not using my professional title?”

Reactions: 3 users
Email:

“Dear HR: I am being informed by Mrs. X that this company’s policy is to mislead patients and use a non legally recognized professional title. If this is accurate, would this company be willing to create a rider to my contract that will allow the company to assume any and all liability for actions that arise from me not using my professional title?”

The LPC and LMSW have different roles and specifies they are QMHP with on call responsibilities on weekends and evenings. My job description specifies Psychologist with clinical supervisory responsibilities and no on call weekend or evening. I have not gone above the chain of command as HR manual has a specific direct supervisor first prior to filing a grievance.

I’ve never seen QMHP used anywhere. I wouldn’t tolerate a job that lumps a bunch of different professions together like that. It feels like a place that would advertise for a position and include MSW/LMHC/Phd/PsyD. That’s bad for the field and not something i’d want to support. I’m curious what the higher-ups would say.

The LPC and LMSW have different roles and specifies they are QMHP with on call responsibilities on weekends and evenings. My job description specifies Psychologist with clinical supervisory responsibilities and no on call weekend or evening. I have not gone above the chain of command as HR manual has a specific direct supervisor first prior to filing a grievance.

Licensing issues > company policies

I’ve never seen QMHP used anywhere. I wouldn’t tolerate a job that lumps a bunch of different professions together like that. It feels like a place that would advertise for a position and include MSW/LMHC/Phd/PsyD. That’s bad for the field and not something i’d want to support. I’m curious what the higher-ups would say.

CMHC commonly use QMHP for all of the above. This corporation started as medical only, but with Affordable Care Act integration with Behavioral Health was mandated to continue with Federal Funding. We have MD/DO Psychiatrist and the MS level staff maintain it misleads patients as they think I am an MD/DO. I explain the difference in my disclosures, consent ect... With all of these changes it seems that the Integrated Behavioral Health Business Model values us all as equal as regardless of training or degree the reimbursement is the same dollar amount per service. The LMSW seem to believe they are equal to Psychologist due to Medicare eligibility.

Funny, in my position (at the VA) we psychologists all use "Dr" and patients understand that we aren't medical doctors.

Reactions: 1 users
Email:

+1 to everything PsyDr Said.

Also, I need a good end of week laugh, so post/PM me their response lol.

Funny, in my position (at the VA) we psychologists all use "Dr" and patients understand that we aren't medical doctors.
Yup. And just to try to avoid any possible confusion, the first thing I say to ALL veterans at the first appointment is: "I am a clinical psychologist, I am NOT a physician, I do not prescribe medications or diagnose medical conditions, I perform psychological assessment, diagnosis, and psychotherapy." That's Item 1 on about a six-item informed consent schpiel to try to get some key issues out on the table at the start of the intake. People still ask me to make changes to their meds or give advice on taking them, so I just remind them of what I said in session 1 and illegality of practicing medicine without a license. I actually like the fact that I don't 'prescribe' anything...psychotherapy has enough headaches inherent to it as it is.

Reactions: 4 users
Yup. And just to try to avoid any possible confusion, the first thing I say to ALL veterans at the first appointment is: "I am a clinical psychologist, I am NOT a physician, I do not prescribe medications or diagnose medical conditions, I perform psychological assessment, diagnosis, and psychotherapy." That's Item 1 on about a six-item informed consent schpiel to try to get some key issues out on the table at the start of the intake. People still ask me to make changes to their meds or give advice on taking them, so I just remind them of what I said in session 1 and illegality of practicing medicine without a license. I actually like the fact that I don't 'prescribe' anything...psychotherapy has enough headaches inherent to it as it is.
I have known some folks who try to use the prescription language in assigning homework to get a more medical feel with hopes that it translate to increased engagement. That always seemed like a bad idea to use language that could get folks confused, even if the intent and expectations are clear.

I have known some folks who try to use the prescription language in assigning homework to get a more medical feel with hopes that it translate to increased engagement. That always seemed like a bad idea to use language that could get folks confused, even if the intent and expectations are clear.

They also do that with dogs...increasingly.

Dumbing down your audience is bad and promotes stigma and lack of accountability to/for treatment. I refuse to belief that a non-flordily psychotic or non-demented person can't understand the difference in roles if you explain it in 2-3 sentences at the outset of treatment/consultation. It might be different if you worked at at ID/DD facility.

Otherwise, your masters-level providers think the population they serve is profoundly dumb, or they are just incredible lazy and don't want to deal/work within the current mental health system in which they are employed?

Last edited:
In my position at a forensic hospital, we psychologists also use "Dr" and it generally doesn't confuse the patients (who also have a psychiatrist and a medical doctor on their team)... when they do get confused, a simple reminder seems to suffice.

Many of the mid-levels don't like the fact that we have more training and experience and the subsequent higher title. If they don't want to call you doctor that is their prerogative. When I have worked in these settings, I have found that the healthier folks will begin to see what a psychologist brings to the table and will begin to be more comfortable with the associated title. The place that I am going to be working shortly has a psychiatrist who is the owner and he is intentionally hiring me as a doctor of psychology to oversee mid-level folks because of my education, experience, training, and title. There are professionals and organizations who understand what a psychologist brings to the table and value it, there are others who need to be sold on it, and there are still others who will never buy in no matter what. I try to focus my energy on the first two categories.

Reactions: 1 users
Op, I feel for you. To want employees to use a meaningless title in their signatures shows a complete lack of respect for/knowledge of their respective licensure processes.

I'd keep using your title/credentials and just continue to explain that your title is a protected term, etc. You could even argue that it would be misleading and inappropriate for all to use the same title that isn't recognized by state boards and confuses/falsely equates separate tracks of training/licensure.

If someone stops talking to you over you using your state board-authorized title, this has reached an outrageous level of animosity and insecurity on the part of the other professionals there; that's really disappointing to hear about. I worked closely with mfts and LCSW's and we all respected each other's unique contributions.