QR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The front wheel of a bicycle is one half the size of the real wheel. The rider makes 3/2 of a revolution of the pedals for every complete turn of the rear wheel. How many turns does the front wheel make for every revolution of the pedals?

correct answer is 3 turns. How this is possible? my calculation is 4/3 turn

Members don't see this ad.

How I did was....

B/2 = F
Thus, B=2F

1 (Size of a rear wheel): 2(Size of a front wheel to equal rear wheel) = 3/2 (Revolution of peals of rear wheel) : X

3 = X

The front wheel of a bicycle is one half the size of the real wheel. The rider makes 3/2 of a revolution of the pedals for every complete turn of the rear wheel. How many turns does the front wheel make for every revolution of the pedals?

correct answer is 3 turns. How this is possible? my calculation is 4/3 turn

Just understand what the problem is telling you. Put the question into your own words so you can understand it better.

In my head, this is what I did...
It says that it takes 1.5 revolutions of the pedals for every complete turn of the real wheel, and the rear wheel is 2x bigger than the front. So therefore you need 3 turns of the front well for each revolution of the pedals...

Hope that helps.
GL

Last edited: