Qs about publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhopeful324

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi sdn fam!

Hoping my fellowing applicants and/or adcoms can help me out.
I am waiting on a submitted manuscript to come through before I send in an update to my school list, but I would like to know what I should be doing in advance.

1) Does is necessarily matter what journal the publication was accepted to and what number author I am on it? Should I be updating the schools regardless of that?
2) How exactly should this update email be formatted? Is there a template I should be using? I understand that we are encouraged to include other updates in these letters (if significant enough). I am asking about the part pertaining to the publication.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The journal doesn't really matter and the author order matters in the sense that it's more meaningful and says something different if you're a first author vs. second author vs. other author. In terms of whether you should update about the pub, it doesn't matter what author you are, as long as you're on there and can talk about your role in the project.

Reactions: 1 user
Hoping my fellowing applicants and/or adcoms can help me out.
I am waiting on a submitted manuscript to come through before I send in an update to my school list, but I would like to know what I should be doing in advance.

1) Does is necessarily matter what journal the publication was accepted to and what number author I am on it? Should I be updating the schools regardless of that?
2) How exactly should this update email be formatted? Is there a template I should be using? I understand that we are encouraged to include other updates in these letters (if significant enough). I am asking about the part pertaining to the publication.

Thank you!
I suggest you wait on an update regarding your manuscript until you know which journal has accepted it. When you submit a manuscript, it may be reviewed by several organizations before it is finally accepted. Or it may be rejected by everyone, which is why waiting is wise.

An entire authorship list isn't necessary if there are many people on it. Give the first author, et al, and your place on the list or say you are a co-author.

When you cite the paper in an update letter, you'll give a formal citation (though a truncated author list is acceptable), with the words [in press] in place of the month, issue, pages, if you have not been informed of these facts yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
The journal doesn't really matter and the author order matters in the sense that it's more meaningful and says something different if you're a first author vs. second author vs. other author. In terms of whether you should update about the pub, it doesn't matter what author you are, as long as you're on there and can talk about your role in the project.

I suggest you wait on an update regarding your manuscript until you know which journal has accepted it. When you submit a manuscript, it may be reviewed by several organizations before it is finally accepted. Or it may be rejected by everyone, which is why waiting is wise.

An entire authorship list isn't necessary if there are many people on it. Give the first author, et al, and your place on the list or say you are a co-author.

When you cite the paper in an update letter, you'll give a formal citation (though a truncated author list is acceptable), with the words [in press] in place of the month, issue, pages, if you have not been informed of these facts yet.

Thank you both for your advice. I will of course wait until it is accepted before I submit an update to any school.
I asked about the authorship because I am pretty low on the author list (6th or 7th if I recall correctly), but I still believe that is a great accomplishment seeing that the rest of the authors are all MDs or PhDs. Should I just be citing the manuscript or should I also be providing a short description of the project as well (~ 1-2 sentences).

Thank you both for your advice. I will of course wait until it is accepted before I submit an update to any school.
I asked about the authorship because I am pretty low on the author list (6th or 7th if I recall correctly), but I still believe that is a great accomplishment seeing that the rest of the authors are all MDs or PhDs. Should I just be citing the manuscript or should I also be providing a short description of the project as well (~ 1-2 sentences).

Any publication is a major accomplishment worthy of an update, regardless of author position.

This thread here has great basic templates for the different types of letters you may end up needing to send during the application process, including one for update letters.

Any publication is a major accomplishment worthy of an update, regardless of author position.

This thread here has great basic templates for the different types of letters you may end up needing to send during the application process, including one for update letters.

This is great! I was looking for a thread like this, but did not end up finding it. Thank you!

I will of course wait until it is accepted before I submit an update to any school.
No need for a description (though if you didn't say so in the Primary Application, you could describe briefly your contribution). If the title of the paper isn't sufficiently descriptive, the first author or PubMed ID# you provide will make it easy to access the paper for those who are interested.