Q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnudgeMuffin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. If you apply for the second time without getting accepted anywhere the first time, does it diminish your chance of getting in?
2. If you get into a medical school and defer a year, then try to apply to other schools the following year, would that work?
3. Am I just paranoid? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by SnudgeMuffin:
•2. If you get into a medical school and defer a year, then try to apply to other schools the following year, would that work?
3. Am I just paranoid? :) •••

2. I don't think so.

3. Maybe so. ;)

Let me answer Question 2 first. If you get accepted into a medical school and defer while you try to get into a different/better medical school, you most likely will lose all opportunity to go to medical school. That type of action is something the schools do not allow. I have heard of this happening (first hand) from someone who got into a DO school and now is a first year at a UC school, but I would not suggest this. It is possible to land you on the BLACK LIST.

You are not a bad person for thinking of this option, I am just stearing you away from implementing this option.

Question 1: I am not sure, but I have heard of individuals who have gotten in the second time through. I think you should have tried to improve your application (more volunteer, more clinical experience, better grades) the second time through. There might be some schools that look down on a second app, and some probably do not care.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) NOT AT ALL!!! If you apply to a school twice, despite being shut out by it, you demonstrate your dedication to the school. I believe this was of great benefit to me this year, which is my second time applying.

2) Yes, this is probably harmful to your cause.

3) Uh, YEAH! ;)

The thing is that if you defer, you are binded by agreement to go to that school. You could get away with it if you do DO because MD schools and DO schools are separate commodities. But, getting into an MD, defering, and then applying the next year to all schools won't work. The med schools know where you've gotten in within a week or two.

Originally posted by SnudgeMuffin:
•1. If you apply for the second time without getting accepted anywhere the first time, does it diminish your chance of getting in?
2. If you get into a medical school and defer a year, then try to apply to other schools the following year, would that work?
3. Am I just paranoid? :) •••

1. no, but realize that you didn't get in the first time for a reason. you need to fix those reasons (i.e. take more classes to raise your GPA, retake the MCAT, get more volunteer experience--whatever your situation is) before you will be successful as a reapplicant. it's said that applying to a school more than once shows perseverance and dedication (someone else mentioned this) but from what i understand it's pretty negligible in admissions--adcoms know that you're reapplying to more than one school. for the most part, you have a clean slate when you reapply. i'm a second-time applicant and already have an acceptance to a school that didn't even interview me the first time, so it can be done.

2. you are not allowed to do this without forfeiting your acceptance to the school you've deferred at, as someone else mentioned. you sign a contract when you defer that obligates you to attend that school, and you are not allowed to file a new AMCAS if you are holding an acceptance. everything in med school admission is handled by the AAMC, so it will be known that you're holding an acceptance--you can't 'hide' it and reapply.

3. no, you're not paranoid, but it's a good thing you asked before you actually did this.

good luck!