Quality of 2 week away rotation?

Started by Duckie24
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Duckie24

Totally Quackers!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently an MS3 working on my schedule for next year and was wondering if any of you had some insight on how beneficial just doing two weeks at a program might be. My school only allows three months off campus and I was thinking of splitting one of the months between two different places. I am interested in several programs and thought this would give both a better chance for me to evaluate them, and likewise them of me. Any thoughts on if this would be enough time to make an impression and get a decent letter?

Thanks
 
I'm interested in what people think about the question also. I have a couple of elective months before interview season and was wondering if I should do 4 weeks at two programs or 2 weeks at four programs.
 
Honestly, I think doing 4 two-week aways is overkill...it's just not necessary. If you are a reasonably strong applicant, you won't need a bevy of away rotations to match somewhere. In fact, you probably won't NEED any. Do aways for yourself not for them.

That said, I think 2 weeks is fine for a program to get an idea of who you are and how you would fit in. I think it would be sufficient time to get a decent letter out of. Just don't think you HAVE to do a slew of aways in order to impress programs. Spend a month away...I think that's more than enough.