Quality of EMT programs in certain areas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Parscope

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was EMT-B trained in Austin, TX, an area that is supposedly known for its pre-hospital programs. Then, I moved to an area of the state that is definitely not known for its quality programs, and my certification doesn't mean a thing.

For example, in Austin, EMT-B certification qualifys you to work as an ER tech at most of the city's hospitals. I applied for the same position at many different hospitals here in Dallas and have not gotten a single call back.

Has anyone had similar problems, or know which cities are considered to have good EMT programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting question... i would like to know the answer to this as well. Im finding out that georgia doesnt even recognize emt-b. You have to start at the next level up. If you post this question in the pre-allo forum you can probably get some answers before they move it out. Not many people read here apparently. Im curious how long your training took and what kind of cost was involved?

Generally speaking, taking an EMT course does not necessarily qualify you to be an "ER tech." Qualification to be an ER Tech could change from hospital to hospital depending on their definitions. It just so happens to be that hospitals define the position of ER Tech as a person that has taken an EMT course (sometimes with extra certs, ect...).

With that being said, I doubt that you're being discriminated against because you went to "such and such" school. It is more likely the hospitals you applied to are 1. Not hiring, 2. Don't hire EMT or ER Techs (some hospitals don't have them), 3. Want additional qualifications, or 4. Their HR Dept sucks.

There could be many different reasons why you have not gotten a call back. You might want to talk to someone in the various HR departments to find out the different requirements, each hospital can be different.

Where I live, ER Tech jobs are coveted positions and are help onto by those that have them and competed for by those that want them.

I doubt that anyone cares about what school an EMT went to, not at this (low) level of education.

Good luck with the job hunt and don't give up. :thumbup:

Parscope said:
I was EMT-B trained in Austin, TX, an area that is supposedly known for its pre-hospital programs. Then, I moved to an area of the state that is definitely not known for its quality programs, and my certification doesn't mean a thing.

For example, in Austin, EMT-B certification qualifys you to work as an ER tech at most of the city's hospitals. I applied for the same position at many different hospitals here in Dallas and have not gotten a single call back.

Has anyone had similar problems, or know which cities are considered to have good EMT programs?

Parascope,

Which Dallas hospitals are you trying to get into?

I lived in Dallas until just a few months ago. I worked in a few of them. The only one I worked ER in was Children's (mostly in Firstcare). It took MONTHS for them to call me. I called the lady at HR about 10 times in a 2 week period, the ONLY reason I think I finally got hired. (That and the fact that they wanted me to stay with them when I finished scrub tech school in those brands new ORs they were opening!)

Children's is pretty strict about who they will let work as an ER tech (they called us clinical assistants or technicians, if I remember correctly). I was happy at Children's.

All my friends say the same thing, DFW hospitals do take a while if you are not a nurse or have not just done a clinical rotation in that facility and are hired on as an insider. One hospital group in town shares an application pool and they take forever (hint* they have more than one facility in the DFW Metroplex that share the same name). Still it's a great place to work.

Are you trying for Parkland? Just walk into HR. You can hit up Children's and Zale at the same time and only have to pay for parking once!

Hey, another hint. Get a copy of your backgound check from the Dallas/Fort worth Hospital Council. The name of the folks that do the checks is Group One. It is out in Irving/Las Colinas. If you walk in they will give you a copy for a few bucks (w/ID). If you are in the system, it will speed things along with HR. Almost every single hospital in Dallas and Fort worth uses Group One. They operate just like a credit bureau (without the financial data). If you are not in their system and they have to start from scratch, that may be slowing you down too.

No, I am not an EMT...

Good Fortune with the job hunt...

Agape.