Quality vs quantity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I jhave a question regarding volunteer and health care experiences. Do DO schools focus more on the number of experiences that you have had, or the quality of the volunteering that you have done. For example I have volunteered for an ambulance for 5 years now, and therefore have not had a lot of time to commit to other things.

I also work in a hematology laboratory full time. Does this get looked upon as favorably even though it is not volunteer? Thanks for any imput!

Members don't see this ad.

On the first part, my personal experience tells me that the boxes on the application look awful lonely if you don't have anything to put in them. I'm fortunate that I do, but took me a bit to think of everything and boy does that white space stick out.

That said, although I'm not through the process, from what I hear, they just want to know that you A. have health care exposure (paid or not to your second question) and B. have something going for you besides being a premed that can't relate to anyone.

How to answer those two is differnt for everyone, but that's what you should be striving for.

good luck,
mj