Quantitative Analytical Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AWhitehair

EM PA-C. MD wannabe
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard is this class? Harder than orgo? Just want to get an idea of what I am getting myself into next semester.

Members don't see this ad.

I have only taken Algebra and Trig (did very well). No calculus yet... is that bad? What kind of math is it? Is it a good chem refresher before the MCAT? It's been a little while since orgo and gen chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
AWhitehair said:
How hard is this class? Harder than orgo? Just want to get an idea of what I am getting myself into next semester.

nope.

actually much easier. If you remember the stuff from gen chem, this extends it.

more solubility Ksp, Ka, Keq, etc.

all algebra, just make sure you get a calculator that can solve polynomial equations. You will use this rarely but you need it when you need it.

fiddler

The math isnt the hard part, the difficulty really depends on the prof and how they are testing you. My prof was kind-of all over the place and an instrumental geek, so everything was very theory/instrumental based in lecture and more practically based on the exams (ie: if you wanted to do this how would you go about it, problems encounter and how to fix them). It's a usefull class if you're going to get into research though, or if you decide to bail on the med school thing analytical chemists are in high demand (starting salary around 50k with a BS)

I hated this class, it was the bane of my existence during my senior year. I put it off (should've taken it ealier), but ended up having to bite the bullet and take it as it was required for my CMB major.

What a WASTE of time. And a significant amount of time, at that. The math/chemistry/experiments weren't difficult. It just took so much TIME. We used equipment that I was unfamiliar with, and had very little guidance. There was a lecture (2 credits) and then a lab (2 credits), but between studying for the exams, and then writing lab reports, it turned out to be a ridiculous amount of work (mostly data analysis - computer & calculations). And I honestly didn't learn a thing that was helpful, except maybe how to perform techniques like HPLC or GC. Which won't be helpful anyway unless you plan to be a biochemist/chemist in industry, or a compete for a highly technical lab position. And you don't even get that much experience anyway.

Don't waste your time if you don't have to take this class. You'll feel like you have been thrown into a vast ocean, and it's sink or swim, with no clear direction. (I think all of the biological scientists hate it, while the physical scientists loved it, but that's because they are all really big nerds and have nothing better to do then spend their tuesday and thursday nights in A Chem lab until midnight. UGH.)

LadyWolverine said:
I hated this class, it was the bane of my existence during my senior year. I put it off (should've taken it ealier), but ended up having to bite the bullet and take it as it was required for my CMB major.

What a WASTE of time. And a significant amount of time, at that. The math/chemistry/experiments weren't difficult. It just took so much TIME. We used equipment that I was unfamiliar with, and had very little guidance. There was a lecture (2 credits) and then a lab (2 credits), but between studying for the exams, and then writing lab reports, it turned out to be a ridiculous amount of work (mostly data analysis - computer & calculations). And I honestly didn't learn a thing that was helpful, except maybe how to perform techniques like HPLC or GC. Which won't be helpful anyway unless you plan to be a biochemist/chemist in industry, or a compete for a highly technical lab position. And you don't even get that much experience anyway.

Don't waste your time if you don't have to take this class. You'll feel like you have been thrown into a vast ocean, and it's sink or swim, with no clear direction. (I think all of the biological scientists hate it, while the physical scientists loved it, but that's because they are all really big nerds and have nothing better to do then spend their tuesday and thursday nights in A Chem lab until midnight. UGH.)

Wow. Yeah, well unfortunately for little me I have to take it. I just wasn't sure when to. Everyone has pretty much made it clear that I should go ahead and take it now while everything is still fresh. Thanks!

Well, let me tell you about it. I suppose it depends on which school you're at, but at mine the only people who take this class are chem majors and minors, and yours truly who decided to be a chem minor overnight. The concepts are pretty easy- I wish i'd had it before the mcat actually. There is a ton of work for my teacher though, lab work, lab book, homework, etc. Really, it's not too bad though. Good luck and I've got a book if you want it!

Analytical chemistry sucks period. The reason why there is such a large demand for analytical chemists out in the real world is because no one wants to do it. It is way too boring.

HATED the class ... loved teh lab. I got an A in the lab yet a D in class :rolleyes: GO FREAKIN FIGURE. My prof couldn't teach. He was teaching it as a grad class when there were only 3 people in the class who worked in the "analytical field" and actually KNEW what he was talking about. I felt bad for the nutrition majors b/c they were just LOST. Most of them were going for the chem minor b/c it was only this additional class to get the minor.

It really isn't that hard of a class but at the time I took it concurrently with ochem and it sucked money balls. BIG TIME. Hated hated hated hated hated that class. With a better prof (and better text) we probably would have done better. The guy didn't teach the class after it, wonder why when 3/4 the class got low C's and below. :mad:

I was going to retake this class and my advisor told me not to waste my time b/c its not worth it. So I wish you luck and find out about the prof and any old tests she/he might have on file. :luck:

AWhitehair said:

oooo loved it! if you still know what you are doing 4 weeks into the class, then u are fine for rest of the semester

I found the lecture component or analytic to be much easier than organic, although for the labs, I would have to say that analytic was somewhat more difficult.. a much higher degree of precision is required, etc.. not necessarily "hard", just much more demanding of precision (and patience, at that...). Best of luck!

thegymbum said:
I found the lecture component or analytic to be much easier than organic, although for the labs, I would have to say that analytic was somewhat more difficult.. a much higher degree of precision is required, etc.. not necessarily "hard", just much more demanding of precision (and patience, at that...). Best of luck!

Thanks for all your comments. I have decided to go ahead and take the class next semester. It is actually required at my school for a BS in biology (imagine that).