Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Quantum Mechanics

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by kitty84, Dec 24, 2008.

1. kitty84

10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Has anybody here done Quantum Mechanics for chemistry major? I just got out of Thermodynamics and still have a headache:eyebrow:. Should I do Quantum Mechanics next semester? How is it? I heard a lot about that class. Is it super hard like people said? If it were you, would you do Quantum Mechanics or Mammalian physiology?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. stkyrice

stkyrice mmm....bacon.
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Some schools require physiology, so I would take that, and none of the schools require any advanced p-chem like quantum.

I was a chem major too and got out of quantum since I found out I had enough units to graduate with my BA.

4. Danbo1957

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If Thermodynamics hurt, QM will bring you to your knees... Agree with taking Physiology, well worth the effort for prer-med.

5. AdamSanders

AdamSanders Pharmacy Student
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    You will walk funny after quantum mechanics, that is for sure. Unless you really like physics and complex math, I'd go with Mammalian Physiology, especially if its a prereq for where you are applying

6. AnhPhung310

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I had just took quantum mechanics this past semester. It was such a depressing class. I once thought I had to drop it because it did so bad on the tests but I couldn't because this is my last year anyway. I have to take it to graduate next summer. But yeah, lots of physics and calculus involved.
    I ended up with a C though :( My prof is the hardest teacher in my school :(
    Good luck!!

7. koercive

koercive Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
    Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    are you guys referring to the physics pre-req class required by some schools (it was the 3rd qtr series at my school)?

if so, it wasn't too bad to learn, and the curve on the tests definitely helped

8. stkyrice

stkyrice mmm....bacon.
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    The poster is referring to a year-long series in physical chemistry, not physics. Quantum mechanics is the last part in this series and involves 2nd year calculus and calculus-based physics, along with what you've learned the previous semester, like thermodynamics, etc.

9. PrepharmKID

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    what degree is QM required? I understand the gist of the class, but never knew anyone on the pharm route had to take it. Must be tough if it requires 2nd year of calculus.

10. rycetrix

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Chemistry majors or chemical engineer majors. I am so thankful that I finished pchem last year. Quantum mechanics wasn't that bad at our school because the professor was extremely nice, but I can see how it can get really bad. My research professor made me sit into a graduate level pchem class (on QM) at 8am in the morning and I almost died. I told my professor it was way too complicated for me and she let me off the hook with having to sit in...lol.

11. transzincIIB

transzincIIB Accepted Pharmacy Student
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    It´s a must to take P-chem for chem majors in our school. I´ve taken Thermodynamics which I think is easier than quantum mechanics (maybe because I took a different professror). I´m actually happy I took it. It wasn´t as bad as I thought it would be. Lesson for me is that. People have their own level/degree of how hard a class could be. I really don´t know what is "hard" for you, I think only you can tell. If your calculus is fresh, likes physics and chemistry at the same time, you should be fine with quantum. Just don´t expect it to be easy. But if you wanna go on the safer side Mammalian Physiology is good to take.

12. 1908PharmD

Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    if you dont have to take quantum then dont. the specialized study is not necessary for majority of most pharmacy schools.