quantum numbers

ds2012tg

May 27, 2012
  1. Pre-Dental
    Can anybody help me with this? Why is the answer A? I don't get how the azimuthal number is 0. I thought it would be 1 because the valence electrons are in a p orbital.

6) Which of the following is a possible set of quantum numbers [n,l,ml,ms] for a valence electron in bromine?
    A) [4,0,0,-1/2]
    B) [3,1,1,+1/2]
    C) [4,1,-2,+1/2]
    D) [3,2,-1,-1/2]

thanks!!!

Msmouth

7+ Year Member
    Aug 13, 2010
    Earth
    1. Dental Student
      Can anybody help me with this? Why is the answer A? I don't get how the azimuthal number is 0. I thought it would be 1 because the valence electrons are in a p orbital.

6) Which of the following is a possible set of quantum numbers [n,l,ml,ms] for a valence electron in bromine?
      A) [4,0,0,-1/2]
      B) [3,1,1,+1/2]
      C) [4,1,-2,+1/2]
      D) [3,2,-1,-1/2]

thanks!!!

Bromine is level 4 for s or p shell. So you have a choice between between A & C. For C if l=1 than you can only have values for ml = from -1 to 1.
      A works because if you have l=0, then ml only can = 0.

Hope this helps!

FeralisExtremum

10+ Year Member
      May 17, 2008
      1. Dentist
        Bromine is level 4 for s or p shell. So you have a choice between between A & C. For C if l=1 than you can only have values for ml = from -1 to 1.
        A works because if you have l=0, then ml only can = 0.

Hope this helps!

I'd like to expand on Msmouth's answer a bit. This does explain why C cannot be the answer via process of elimination, but I understand his confusion as well: looking at Bromine's position on the periodic table, it appears to him that it should lie within the p subshell, for which l = 1. He wants to know why it is possible for Bromine's valence electrons quantum number to have a value outside of that, in this case l = 0 which is the s subshell.

Bromine itself isn't actually within the p subshell - rather, it has valence electrons available up to and in the p subshell. But remember that this question is asking potential quantum number for Bromine's valence electrons. That refers to all 7 of the electrons in Bromine's outer shell which includes the ones that are in the s subshell, hence why l=0 is valid in the answer.

Last edited:
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.