Queens Square Reflex Hammer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nibrocli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my school prefers that we get this type. whenever i've had my reflexes tested, it's always been with the taylor type. any thoughts on why the queens square might be better? just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

What field are you going into?

I pretty much never test reflexes now - and when I do, it's with the side of the stethoscope. :)

Blade28 said:
What field are you going into?

are you kidding? like i have a clue at this point. i'm not planning on purchasing anything until i find out if i really need it. it was on a list of required equipment that rfu sent out, and i was just curious since i never heard of the queens square type.

but my primary care doc (an internist) used a hammer during the physical i needed to start school. also i had a reflex test done on me as part of a neuro exam a while back.

Members don't see this ad :)
My experience is that most docs will use the standard reflex hammer. Usually it is a free reflex hammer that has some drug company's name on it. The only people I have ever seen use the queen's head are neurologists. The flexible shaft of the queen's head allows you to get a little extra torque. The neurologists use that torque sometimes in patients that are difficult to elicit reflexes in. Bottom line is that most medical students and most doctors are not going to have the queen's head.

I'd say invest in the queen square hammer and learn how to use it. It makes a big difference when eliciting proper reflexes. I'm in FP (I'm no neurologist lemme tell ya) but I wouldn't go back to using the Taylor ones, you're honestly playing the fool trying to do anything with those. I managed to find a cool fold up QueensSquare one at my medschool bookstore in clerkship that seems to make everyone "Ooooh and Aaaah" when I bust it out, it's quite the reaction! (like this one: http://bookstore.ucdavis.edu/Display.cfm?ItemID=781)

Funny but related story: I was once working with a Pediatrician who took me along to a underserved small town where he visited once a week cause they had no Pediatrician...I mentioned when reporting to him about a case that I checked the patient's reflexes (not mentioning that I used the cheapo Taylor hammer that happened to BELONG TO THE CLINIC WE WERE WORKING IN that was sitting on the counter), and he quickly replied, "let's see how you check reflexes...". I picked up the TaylorHammer and before I could strike the patellar tendon, he snatched it out of my hand and went into a tirade! "TRYING TO CHECK REFLEXES WITH THIS IS LIKE TRYING TO MAKE IT THROUGH AN ENTIRE GOLF COURSE WITH A PUTTER!" LOL! Not to mention, he didn't carry a queen's hammer with him either and I hadn't purchased my own yet, YIKES!! :scared: He was right though!