QUERY Re: Interventional Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drenthu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would truly appreciate if someone can answer these questions for me :

1. is there a huge jump of salary if you do a year of interventional fellowship??
how much is teh average difference.

2. As there are so many unfilled positions in radiology fellowships, is it easy as an FMG to obtain a interventional fellowship

3. are the options in interventional radiology being taken over by other fields like cards, uro and neuro.....i mean wut is the future of interventional radiologist in private set ups.

thanx in anticipation

Members don't see this ad.

I would truly appreciate if someone can answer these questions for me :

1. is there a huge jump of salary if you do a year of interventional fellowship??
how much is teh average difference.

2. As there are so many unfilled positions in radiology fellowships, is it easy as an FMG to obtain a interventional fellowship

3. are the options in interventional radiology being taken over by other fields like cards, uro and neuro.....i mean wut is the future of interventional radiologist in private set ups.

thanx in anticipation

1. There is a marginal difference in salary. Most groups give 20-40K more for taking more call as an interventionalist. Bottom line, don't do it for the money. Do it because you want to.

2. You can get an interventional radiology fellowship somewhere without doing a radiology residency. Typically IMGs do this as part of a 4 year scheme to sit for the ABR boards. If you do a fellowship first you will not eligible for the CAQs and it will not count toward a residency if you decide to do one in the future. If you do well in fellowship as an FMG, after fellowship but without an american residency, your job prospects will be severely limited to a handful of academic or VA positions and because you are not boarded or CAQ'd do not be surprised if you are offered a much-lower-than-market salary, even by academics standards.

3. There are turf wars in every field. Radiology has lost some procedures, but it has taken procedures, and it constantly innovates new procedures. If you are good at what you do and provide good service to referring physicians you will always have a job. For more about turf issues, do a search, they have been discussed previously, ad nauseum.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey thanx for the responses
so how can u become board certified???
are you certified if you do 4 year of continuous training or 2 yrs accredited fellowship??

As for the alternate pathway, here is what you need:

- equivalent of board certification in your home country
- 4 years of training at a program with a ACGME accredited rads residency. Typically this is 1-2 years of fellowship + 1-3 years of faculty work. This has to be at the same program and the department chair and GME director have to support it. If I remember correctly, they have to submit a plan for you training to the ABR up front.
- you can sit for the writtens before the 4 years are through (similar to the regular residents). You can sit for the orals at the end of the 4 year stretch.

You cannot piece together 4 fellowships from 4 different institutions and sit for the boards (if your 'host' institution 'sends' you for a fellowship bc they are looking for someone with a particular profile e.g. peds and chest and you have support from the department chair, you might get credit for a year outside of your 'host' program).