1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Question about 3rd and 4th year rotations

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DoctorWannaBe, Dec 1, 2002.

1. DoctorWannaBe

DoctorWannaBe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have been looking at some books with profiles about medical schools. They have descriptions of the 3rd and 4th year required rotations and there is always one called "medicine." I don't want to sound stupid, but what does this refer to?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DALABROKA

DALABROKA Raider Hater
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Internal medicine rotation

4. paean

paean Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medicine is usually an 8-12 week rotation, primarily or exclusively in the hospital (unlike the average Internist's practice, which usually is primarily in the clinic) where you deal with very ill general medical patients, and ones that fall under the medicine subspecialties (at some hospitals, you spend all the time in general medicine, and see medical subspecialties in 4th year electives). Subspecialties include cardiology, rheumatology, endocrinology, allergy, infectious disease.... Basically any non-surgical, not psychology, pediatrics, family practice, neurology or ob-gyn (which is considered surgery) part of doctoring.

5. DALABROKA

DALABROKA Raider Hater
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Here is the KU "medicine" rotation description. I thought it might help.

Cheers,
    DALA