Question about 4th year schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scully

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all who have been there or have had a similar question answered:

I am trying to figure out my 4th year schedule, and don't know whether to take Senior Medicine Sub-Internship and ICU early to possibly get some good letters, or to take a 3 month research block early to have something to talk about if I am fortunate enough to get some interviews.

I would rather do the research and some more interesting electives (Neuro), and save Sub-I for the end of 4th year to prepare for internship. But many of my classmates say that taking the tough advanced medicine requirements early is vital for competitive residencies of all types.

Does anyone have any insight into this dilemma? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

3 month research block?!?!?! What about doing a rads elective, and maybe an away? I would do the subI in feb, march, or april.

samsoccer7 said:
3 month research block?!?!?! What about doing a rads elective, and maybe an away? I would do the subI in feb, march, or april.

No research? I thought that was helpful. I can also do electives, but I have spent alot of time "tagging along" at the reading boards, and our electives are short and perhaps not that useful, as you don't get much time with the attendings. As for aways, I really want to stay at my home school. So, in your opinion the SubI grade and letter doesn't matter pre-interview?

Thanks for your reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Research is definitely helpful, and I guess if you wanna stay at your home school, then I suppose that would work. Just make sure it's worthwhile and you won't be wasting a lot of time. I was able to do a decent amount of research in 1 month, and during my away rotation as well, so keep that in mind. But I think the SubI grade and letter are almost useless. Just remember that ifyou want to stay at your own program, you need to keep other options open. There may be other people just as interested as coming there too, so you should work your angle well, but try to give options 2 and 3 some attention too.

I disagree with Sam about the sub-I thing. If you already have 3-4 very good letters, no need to do it early. However, doing well on your sub-I early in 4th year and getting a letter can definitely be beneficial. I got a great letter from my attending during my sub-I, which I took in July. In addition, a couple of programs actually commented on my honors grade on the sub-I as a positive note.

Research will help, but three months is a long time.

So overall, my recommendations are:

If you need another letter, do the sub-I early and work your ass off.

If you don't need another letter, do a month of research, and a rads rotation or two.

If you feel you can get a published paper out in the three month research block -- then go for it. If it will be in radiology -- I would say doubly so go for it.

Sub-I letters dont weigh more than regular ones. I personally would recommend more direct contact to those who are in the field you want and research in those fields.

Focus on the spot you want ... ignore the other fluff.

Performance in a sub-I probably doesn't matter much to rads programs, but it probably matters to TY programs, which are generally very competitive*. So if you're aiming for a desirable TY, I'd do a sub-I early in the year and shoot for a LOR.

* Whether TY programs are as competitive as rads programs is a matter of debate...probably depends on the specific programs in question.