Question about a ticket and background check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

def1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel so dumb right now, but I had totally forgot about one incident that happened to me in New York a few years ago. It was such a minor incident that it didn't even cross my mind when I was filling out my application.

I received a ticket for drinking in a public park, or something like that. We were actually at a campsite and didn't know it was illegal to drink there. Anyways we got a ticket, showed up to court and the judge told us that if we didn't get another ticket for 6 months in the same county then we wouldn't be charged.

I was only in New York for a very short vacation so I of course didn't get in trouble again there. However, I'm not sure if the ticket will still show up on my record and if it will be an issue.

Is there anyway to find this information out? Should I inform the schools about it?

I would really hate for this ticket to give me trouble.

Members don't see this ad.

sounds like you weren't charged. so you should be fine.

but, here's the important info:

you will get a chance to see your certiphi background check results before they are sent to anyone. so if something comes up you still have a chance to tell schools before they find out from someone else.

but i highly doubt it will come up.

It wouldn't hurt to call the important schools and mention it. You could also check with the state of New York. You could request your own record and see if the ticket is listed.

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds like you weren't charged. so you should be fine.

but, here's the important info:

you will get a chance to see your certiphi background check results before they are sent to anyone. so if something comes up you still have a chance to tell schools before they find out from someone else.

but i highly doubt it will come up.

Texas schools use a different system than certiphi but I went ahead and called the one school that has accepted me so far and asked about it. They told me they weren't sure if I needed to report it or not but if it came up and they were wondering about it then they would contact me at which point I could explain to them.

I'm thinking since its such a minor incident and in the end was dismissed I shouldn't have anything to worry about so I guess we shall see.

Let us know if this shows up.

Since you use the word, "ticket," It sounds more like a citation. Were you arrested?

Let us know if this shows up.

Since you use the word, "ticket," It sounds more like a citation. Were you arrested?

I will do.

And no I wasn't arrested. Just given a ticket with a court date. I think it was a citation actually. I tried calling up New York state records to find out but all they could tell me was that a ticket in New York is held in civil court and not criminal court and shouldn't show up as criminal record. I would have to call the actual court that I went to find out more info.