Question about AACOMAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdsh00

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be applying to medical school this June. Im planning on applying to both MD and DO schools because after finding out more about Osteopathy, I think I've come to the realization that both are quite comparable, and in fact, Osteopathy seems quite interesting. I was wondering if there is a site or if someone can tell me what the AACOMAS application is like and how similar or different it may be to the AAMCAS.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So does this mean that the AACOMAS also has space to include "15 Post-Bac experiences" as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its the same type of format but I believe just a few spaces for what you need.

Like the personal statement from being 2000 words to 1500. ( I can't remember exact but I remember rewriting mine) It also only allows like 5-6 experiences I believe. I put in my most important ones.

What I found is that schools really ask for that type of stuff on the secondaries. Unless the school is one of those that ask for money and let you go. (See BU, SLU, or a few other alike that)

Check out that website provided. Its pretty easy and is fairly friendly. It was mildly forgiving where as AMCAS is not.

Good luck!

The personal statement is shorter. The EC section is different.

You can take your AMCAS essay and shink it down and add about the DO career choice and that can be your AACOMAS essay. That is what a lot of us did.

Oh and they are faster and more organized than AMCAS. You won't have to wait as long for them to approve and submit all your stuff to the schools. With AMCAS you will wait for weeks and weeks.

Suggestions to all applying. Get all your transcripts in early!!!! AND verify that they have them so you won't find out that one or more are lost, which can happen, although happens with AMCAS on a regular basis.

Get your personal essays written and read by someone ASAP, now. That way you will have that out of the way and ready to go.

Have unofficial copies of all your transcripts before you start so that way you will have everything in front of you when you fill out the applications.

Amy B said:
Oh and they are faster and more organized than AMCAS. You won't have to wait as long for them to approve and submit all your stuff to the schools. With AMCAS you will wait for weeks and weeks.

I think this is due to there only being a few DO schools and a slew of MD schools. Not nearly the amount of volume to deal with. :)

I agree with everyone above. It is about the same other than the few differences in space. The only other notable difference is the GPA calculation. They dont count repeated course, just the most recent.

Robz said:
I think this is due to there only being a few DO schools and a slew of MD schools. Not nearly the amount of volume to deal with. :)

Yep. I agree. I think it must be due to the volume. They are nicer too though, maybe it is because DO applicants are sooooo coool :cool: :D

My main gripe about the AACOMAS application compared to the AMCAS is that they give you very little space to list your personal experiences, awards, and ECs. However, the AMCAS gives you too much space. I felt compelled to use it all because nobody likes blank space.

Maybe AACOMAS and AMCAS could get together in an application-service love making binge and produce a child. We shall call him Neo. He shall save us all from the make believe world that is the online med school application. Through a series of three stages, neo will battle to reduce the redundancy and combine the fees for all of the poor premeds. The first stage will be good, the second a little better, and the third will be a bitter disappointment when we realize that Neo was a wasted effort. I need a little sleep.

ad_sharp said:
Maybe AACOMAS and AMCAS could get together in an application-service love making binge and produce a child. We shall call him Neo. He shall save us all from the make believe world that is the online med school application. Through a series of three stages, neo will battle to reduce the redundancy and combine the fees for all of the poor premeds. The first stage will be good, the second a little better, and the third will be a bitter disappointment when we realize that Neo was a wasted effort. I need a little sleep.
Hmmmmmmmm. I thought Quinn was the "one". I think SDN has gotten to my mind.

Don't forget that AACOMAS only factors the most recent grade received in a particular course when calculating the GPA. So if you got a "C" in Gen Chem I in 1999, and then re-took the course in 2003 and got an "A," only the "A" is factored into your GPA. In contrast, AAMCAS factors ALL grades into your GPA. AACOMAS also seems to be better organized than AAMCAS. Oh, and the staff at AACOMAS is MUCH friendlier! :clap: