Question About Academia and Industry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Alakazam123

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be completing my MA program in 6-7 months, and was planning on looking for a job in industry. While I'm aware of the glass ceiling that comes from just having a master's. I've also been told that the job security for the biotech industry is very low these days. For any physicians who were in pharma, do you feel this is the case for most workers (regardless of educational level).
 
I agree there's flux in biotech. But I feel strongly you shouldn't let this stop you from doing what you want to do. And don't let the idea of a glass ceiling interfere with your career. Be creative in how you use your skills and experience. Advance your knowledge and experience outside of your primary job (through consulting, volunteering, pro bono work, etc). Demonstrate your value, and you'll gain yourself job security.
 
I agree there's flux in biotech. But I feel strongly you shouldn't let this stop you from doing what you want to do. And don't let the idea of a glass ceiling interfere with your career. Be creative in how you use your skills and experience. Advance your knowledge and experience outside of your primary job (through consulting, volunteering, pro bono work, etc). Demonstrate your value, and you'll gain yourself job security.

How do you make time for expanding the skills during a full-time work schedule? Also, how long do you suggest anyone stay in pharma R&D before moving on?
 
How do you make time for expanding the skills during a full-time work schedule? Also, how long do you suggest anyone stay in pharma R&D before moving on?

I've used early mornings, lunch breaks, evenings, weekends, and even weeks of PTO.

I don't have a suggestion about time to spend in pharma R&D. For some physicians, it's a good fit for their whole career. Others may shift to a different division due to their own desire or due to changes in company needs. I don't think there's any one trajectory that is better than another. One of the benefits to a career in pharma is that there are so many places in which a physician can find a niche.