Question about Academic EM life -- how much clinical time can you buy down?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But, if one doesn't post, using the search function yields little to nothing. On a message board, I don't see it as a badge of honor when someone states that they rarely or never post. This board (as others) is made of content.

And, in many cases, "well crafted IPA" is oxymoronic. A well held saw of brewing is "heavy hopping hides bad brewing". Not to say that they don't exist, but are rather rarefied.
The search function works fine, you don't even need an account to find and read the threads. Doing that allows one to glean what useful information there is here and avoid interactions with those who seem to live on this forum looking to pick fights and vent.

Thanks for trying to argue over my joke. I'll pass.

I hope your day gets better.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you elaborate on “hating all aspects of the job”?

A little hyperbole, but:
- I enjoy teaching/supervising far more than just grinding through the board.
- I liked my research compliance office team, but Institutional Review Board work is pretty dry.
- Resource stewardship involves telling other docs and patients they can't have some requested test/referral as low-value; a necessary evil, but not good for morale.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The search function works fine, you don't even need an account to find and read the threads. Doing that allows one to glean what useful information there is here and avoid interactions with those who seem to live on this forum looking to pick fights and vent.

Thanks for trying to argue over my joke. I'll pass.

I hope your day gets better.
My day is fine. You're reading WAY too much into this. If you see "starting an argument", that's you, dude. People that see "X" see "X" everywhere.

And, again, if no one posts, then there is nothing. That is evident.

But, you know what? I hope your day gets better, too!

I was an Arrogant Bastard fan for a long time. Lately I've discovered Anti-Hero, and it has changed my life.
I lived across the street from that brewery for a pretty long time--not bad, but imho there're better IPAs out there.

I have a hazy recollection of a fantastic hawaiian pizza I got from a fancy pizza place once. Not soggy at all, fancy spanish jamon, and I think it was garnished w/ hot honey or something like that. I honestly not above grabbing a leftover piece of dominos that's been sitting in the breakroom for 4 hours though.

So... any toxicologists want to comment on this topic? PGY-2 here that is strongly considering applying!

Where I am, clinical faculty do ~1530/yr and core faculty do ~1340/yr. I'm not sure, but I think division heads and PD work fewer hours. Criteria for bonus is different between clinical and core faculty insofar as academic/teaching productivity. I get a small buy-down due to a service I provide on behalf of the department, so my hours are less than regular clinical faculty but not as low as core faculty.

It's an elusive state of mind and one that I didn't actually learn to attain until a few years out. We had this FT traveler come through who was probably 20 years into his career or more. He was doing FT old @GeneralVeers style locums. Hell, it may have been Veers for all I know. He always wore business attire, meticulously groomed, expensive cologne, very dapper dude. Worked 12 hour shifts, 7 in a row and I never saw a bead of sweat on him nor a single hair out of place. Smelled just as good at the end of his shift as he did at the beginning. Always calm, always pleasant, never ruffled, never frustrated. Well, it frustrated the hell out of me because I felt like I had SVT all the time with beads of sweat that would start at my hairline and end up in my gluteal cleft by the end of my shift. I started trying to emulate this guy and low and behold worked a shift where I found this calm and relaxed center state that I like to call my zen state. Well, I had it for about 15 mins, probably less, and then lost it and went back to SVT state for the rest of the shift. I did this over and over until I finally was able to capture it again and maintain it throughout an entire shift. It was a true epiphany for me. I suppose it was kind of similar to biofeedback in a way. Anyway, through trial and error I have finally figured out how to reach and maintain a semi relaxed state throughout the shift and I can't help but think this will have many health benefits further down the line. I'm not 100% by any means, more like 70% or so. It's a work in progress. If I drink a pot of coffee before my shift, I screw myself. Low dose beta blockers help. I take a low dose propranolol on the days that I work. It cuts out some of the the physiological feedback loop that tachycardia has on the rest of your body and helps me maintain a more relaxed state. It also obliterates hand tremor for complicated procedures. My avg heart rate during my shift yesterday according to my Apple Watch was 57 with a range 51-79.

Fascinating.

Reactions: 1 user
I find that if I'm trying to be in a state of calm it works best for me to not try too hard to be in a state of calm - that just stresses me out! What works well is to simply try to notice when I'm NOT calm, then say to myself - "I'm getting stressed out" and then pay attention to the effect it's having (clenched jaw, or hollow feeling in my epigastrium, or being short with the ECG tech, etc). Just by noticing, soon the stress fades.

So, for me anyway, it's less about trying to stay calm and more about noticing when I'm getting stressed. Simply noticing it is usually a potent antidote.

Sounds kind of like a principal of mindfulness from meditation, not trying to suppress or block negative emotions, but acknowledge them and let them pass through.

Reactions: 1 users