Question about acceptance to optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MXbookworm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I apologize if this is posted elsewhere, but I was unable to find it.

I was just wondering how long you typically have to accept or decline to attend a school after they have offered you a spot. I took my OAT (the only missing component of my applications) last weekend, and immediately emailed out my unoffical report to each school. One of the schools got back to me and offered an interview ASAP, while the others will be waiting for the official OAT report. I'm excited for the interview, but if I end up being offered a spot there, I don't want to have to decide until I find out whether I have been offered a spot at any other school.

So, how long do schools generally give accepted applicants to decide whether or not to attend their school?

If it helps, the school where I've been invited is SCO. Its one of my top picks but I want to hear from everyone before deciding!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys!

I was just wondering how long you typically have to accept or decline to attend a school after they have offered you a spot. I took my OAT (the only missing component of my applications) last weekend, and immediately emailed out my unoffical report to each school. One of the schools got back to me and offered an interview ASAP, while the others will be waiting for the official OAT report. I'm excited for the interview, but if I end up being offered a spot there, I don't want to have to decide until I find out whether I have been offered a spot at any other school.

So, how long do schools generally give accepted applicants to decide whether or not to attend their school?

If it helps, the school where I've been invited is SCO. Its one of my top picks but I want to hear from everyone before deciding!

Don't worry about choosing which school to go to until you have been accepted into the schools.

SCO invited you for an interview? Go to the interview!

After you interview, they can decide to accept, wait list, and sometimes reject you. Once you get accepted, they will let you know exactly how long you have to make your decision.

If you really want to procrastinate your interview to buy you more time (for whatever reason....) then schedule your interview later on.

SCO is a great school, so you should have no problems deciding.

Good luck!:thumbup:

Most schools that I have talked to give you two to three weeks before you have to respond and put down a deposit. Also, some schools will give you a portion of your deposit back if you do decide not to go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
somewhat on this note, does anyone know how many students schools typically interview to get an idea of my odds..specifically Pacific University? I have an interview soon and am curious as to if they invite a lot and cut from there or if the chances are very good and they are just eliminating a few throughout the interview process or inviting the ones they accept plus additional waitlisters? in otherwords i guess..are there a lot of rejections from interviews or mostly acceptances and waitlists?

i ask because it's tough to tell on this site because everyone is indicating their acceptances and interviews but not if they get rejected (which is understandable..haha)

Hey Guys!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=778476