Question about acceptance "traffic rules"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njtrimed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious if any of the admissions experts (@LizzyM, @Catalystik, @Goro) can tell me if the traffic rules for allopathic schools apply only to applicants, or to the schools as well. A friend of mine interviewed at her top choice school in March and still has not received a decision. I was under the impression that schools were supposed to notify applicants by 4/30, but I realized I have no idea because I withdrew all my applications once I chose my med school months before the deadline. Does that deadline only apply to applicants, or do med schools have to tell applicants whether they're waitlisted, rejected, or accepted by 4/30 (or a different date)?

Members don't see this ad.

there is nothing in the traffic rules that require schools have decisions by 4/30
Thank you, gonnif! Here's my next question, then: can she choose another school by the deadline for applicants to choose one school, but then choose to attend this school if they just wait until July or August to notify her that she's accepted? (Even if she's not on the wait list here before 4/30 or 5/15 or whatever the deadline is?)

Reactions: 1 user
@njtrimed Thanks for asking this! I have a follow-up question for you guys @gonnif @LizzyM @Catalystik. I've withdrawn from all of my other acceptances and am currently holding a single acceptance. However, I just got accepted on 4/27 to another medical school so now technically I am holding 2 acceptance offers. Because the 2nd school notified me of my acceptance prior to 4/30, I am allowed 2 weeks to respond to offer of admission according to AAMC's traffic rules. However, 4/30 is also the last date to hold multiple school acceptances, also according to AAMC traffic rules. Which rule overrides in this case?

The 2nd medical school told me no action is required of me (no deposit required) to hold a spot in the class right now. They informed me I should wait 4-5 weeks for the acceptance packet to arrive via snail mail and then respond using the placard in the acceptance packet to hold a spot in the class. I plan on calling school 2 tomorrow to see if they can release a financial aid estimate for me earlier, but I don't want to screw things up with school 1 either.