Question about ACS...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Philippines03j

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)I just finished the ACS final for my o-chem class and it went well. I scored in the 98 percentile range. I was wondering if this test is a good comparison for the DAT O-chem section. Obviously it will not tell me exactly what I am going to get but I want to make sure it is not a lot easier than the DAT and give me a false sense of hope. Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

:)I just finished the ACS final for my o-chem class and it went well. I scored in the 98 percentile range. I was wondering if this test is a good comparison for the DAT O-chem section. Obviously it will not tell me exactly what I am going to get but I want to make sure it is not a lot easier than the DAT and give me a false sense of hope. Thanks for any input!
I took that exam too (it's the one covering both orgo 1&2, right?). If I'm thinking of the same exam you took, then that exam is definitely harder than the DAT, and if you've managed to score 98% on that exam, then you'll do very decent on your DAT as well. However, there's one thing you should remember. THE TIME LIMIT!!
Most people finish the bio section in 20-25 minutes. G-chem takes more time due to calculations. I usually finished it in 35-40 minutes. So, that will only leave you with 90 - (25+40) ~ 25 min for O-chem, which means you need to know your reactions cold, in order to score well on the real DAT.

Good Luck:thumbup:

Yeah, the ACS orgo exam is harder...

I think there was a past thread about this topic. Pretty much everyone who got 90+ percentile on the ACS exam got 21+ on the DAT orgo.

I think you're on track for a 23-25 and possibly a perfect score if lady luck is in your corner.

Can someone please post the link to that particular book you guys talking about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please post the link to that particular book you guys talking about?
It's not a book.
Some schools give you a comprehensive final exam at the end of your 2nd semester of o-chem, written by ACS. That's what we're talking about.

I'm assuming there is no way a random person like me could get a hold of those questions right?

I have a copy of the ACS manual and you can usually buy it in the stock room or chemistry office of your chemistry department if you take the ACS at your school. I scored in the 98th percentile as well, good luck you your test.

Only the book is available to the public.

The ACS used to offer a question bank (~1000 questions) in word format, but that is only available to intructors.

I am sure if you got 98% your ready for the DAT ORGO section now

The trick will be keeping your orgo at that level, untill your other subjects are up to par.

I am sure if you got 98% your ready for the DAT ORGO section now

The trick will be keeping your orgo at that level, untill your other subjects are up to par.

Thats a good point especially since it is another month away. This coming month will be the first time i have all day every day to study for the dat. I know I can make alot of progress. I will probably spend about an hour a day reviewing O-Chem because I want it just as good if not better by the time the DAT comes. I will just do the Dat destroyer a few times and keep reviewing class notes and the ACS.