Question about an EC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LL562

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteered at a small Autistic center for a summer but the center was closed because of budget issues. Can I still put this down on my app? How will schools know if I really volunteered there or not? Will they try to call or contact the center? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Schools would expect you to put that on your app. Unless you're putting something ridiculous in your app under volunteering I don't think anyone is going to go look to see if you're lying or not.

Schools don't have time to check into every single applicants credentials (hence AACOMAS) and the risk vs reward for lying about volunteer activities isn't really in the applicants favor.

Hey thanks for the reply MLT2MT2DO. I guess my next question would be do you think it's worth the risk to include it in my app? B/C I don't know what process they go through to verify if any, and I'm worried that if they do check nothing will come up. I guess I can just leave it out if it might cause problems. Thanks again!

Hey thanks for the reply MLT2MT2DO. I guess my next question would be do you think it's worth the risk to include it in my app? B/C I don't know what process they go through to verify if any, and I'm worried that if they do check nothing will come up. I guess I can just leave it out if it might cause problems. Thanks again!

There is no risk in you listing something you actually did. My "risk vs reward" scenario was more in line with someone straight out lying. If a school finds out you're not being truthful (they can disprove it, not that they can't prove it in your case) you will most likely have ended your medical career before it has begun.

In your case, list what you did and your hours. Again, even if they go to check it and they can't "prove" that you did that volunteer work they won't count it against you.