Question About Anatomy And Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonTradHopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

A lot of schools require you to take "Human Anatomy" or "Physiology". I have a few questions:

1. At my school, the class is called "Human Anatomy and Physiology I"...would this class satisfy either Anatomy or Physiology requirement?...or both (some schools require 3 hour course in physiology...others require a 4 hour course in anatomy. Will a 4 hour course, with lab, called "Human Anatomy and Physiology" satisfy both of these scenarios)?

2. At my school, this course is listed as a 1000-level course (or 100 level), but it is extremely difficult (meant for premeds, predents, and nursing students). Will dental school adcoms look at the number of the course and think that it's an "easy" version...or is the only thing that matters the fact that the course's name on the transcript is "Human Anatomy and Physiology I"? In other words, does the name of the course matter more than it's course number level?

Any advice is appreciated.

Ahmad

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

A lot of schools require you to take "Human Anatomy" or "Physiology". I have a few questions:

1. At my school, the class is called "Human Anatomy and Physiology I"...would this class satisfy either Anatomy or Physiology requirement?...or both (some schools require 3 hour course in physiology...others require a 4 hour course in anatomy. Will a 4 hour course, with lab, called "Human Anatomy and Physiology" satisfy both of these scenarios)?

2. At my school, this course is listed as a 1000-level course (or 100 level), but it is extremely difficult (meant for premeds, predents, and nursing students). Will dental school adcoms look at the number of the course and think that it's an "easy" version...or is the only thing that matters the fact that the course's name on the transcript is "Human Anatomy and Physiology I"? In other words, does the name of the course matter more than it's course number level?

Any advice is appreciated.

Ahmad
1) I think you should take Human Anatomy and Physiology II too to have both anatomy and physiology satisfied.
2) I don't think the course number matters. I mean if its upper div it would look nicer, but I doubt taking lower division version would affect you, since you mentioned its for premeds, predental.

1) I think you should take Human Anatomy and Physiology II too to have both anatomy and physiology satisfied.
2) I don't think the course number matters. I mean if its upper div it would look nicer, but I doubt taking lower division version would affect you, since you mentioned its for premeds, predental.

Right...and the only upper division version of this class that's offered at our school is "Human Physiology"...in other words, it doesn't have the anatomy component...just the physiology component.

So, if I wanted to satisfy the anatomy requirement for some schools, I would HAVE to take the lower-level "Human Anatomy and Physiology" version. Because taking the upper-division "Human Physiology" class would only satisfy schools that require physiology, but not the schools that would require anatomy...right?

As always, check with the specific schools you're interested in. My undergrad school is the same way. I had to take both semesters of A&P to fulfill either requirement. A&P 1 is 4 credits (including lab) but was kind of only looked at as being worth 2 credits anatomy and 2 credits of physiology. Again, check with specific schools. For me it was verified by school websites, open houses, and interviews.