Question about AOA Recognition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meowster007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so I know this question is wayyy above my pay grade but I am super curious and have to ask-
Certain ACGME residencies have AOA Recognition. As a DO student does this mean just COMLEX scores will do or does that help DOs? Like what exactly does that entail?

Thanks and sorry if this is an obvious answer. Pardon my ignorance.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not AOA recognition, but Osteopathic recognition, and that means that OMM will be involved one way or another during your residency training. Due to the merger, anyone (MD or DO) can apply to those programs, but some of them may require some sort of OMM certification or training for MDs to be able to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Osteopathic Recognition means that further OMT training is done at that program. Every program may be different, but I can say that at my program all the DOs are involved with OMT clinic, but the MDs can opt in or out of OMT training. It is by no mean required for the MDs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so is like an extra hassle to go thru? Or like do DO's in a sense pay for the hassle if the program evaluates their COMLEX scores? Sorry a bit confused like does the Recognition help DO's get in to a degree (ofc based on the program as some programs may not be so friendly)? Or does taking the USMLE still play a major role here?

I saw a program that had the recognition for their IM program and was interested in the fellowships afterward and was wondering if taking the USMLE is necessary for that future or would COMLEX fly the whole way?

Thank you so is like an extra hassle to go thru? Or like do DO's in a sense pay for the hassle if the program evaluates their COMLEX scores? Sorry a bit confused like does the Recognition help DO's get in to a degree (ofc based on the program as some programs may not be so friendly)? Or does taking the USMLE still play a major role here?

I saw a program that had the recognition for their IM program and was interested in the fellowships afterward and was wondering if taking the USMLE is necessary for that future or would COMLEX fly the whole way?

There used to be a separate match for DO and MD residency programs. DO students could apply for MD programs, but MD students couldn’t apply to DO programs. They merged this into a single match in 2020. These are former DO programs that chose to maintain their DO recognition when they joined the merger.

Reactions: 1 users
You should still plan on taking step 1/2

Thank you! Why do DO schools try to "convince" students not to take the Steps and to stick just to the COMLEX? I understand they may be 'afraid' of students failing the COMLEX if prepping for two boards but if given a dedicated block and good teaching for boards- shouldn't taking the STEPS help the school match more competitively? So why do some schools lean away? Any ideas?

Thank you! Why do DO schools try to "convince" students not to take the Steps and to stick just to the COMLEX? I understand they may be 'afraid' of students failing the COMLEX if prepping for two boards but if given a dedicated block and good teaching for boards- shouldn't taking the STEPS help the school match more competitively? So why do some schools lean away? Any ideas?
DO schools don't care about you matching competitively. They just care that you match anywhere most preferably in primary care, and COMLEX is enough for that.

Reactions: 2 users
DO schools don't care about you matching competitively. They just care that you match anywhere most preferably in primary care, and COMLEX is enough for that.
Having a passing comlex and applying to PC fields is nothing but net.

Grinding harder for a solid step score and applying to a moderately competitive field isn’t.

By doing what they’re doing, they up their pass and match rates. Who cares what students want from their six figure degree?

Reactions: 3 users
They just want you to pay them the 300K, match into ANYTHING regardless of your interest and GTFO. Based on what we've gone through at our DO school, it was a typical Caribbean school experience. We just happened to be located in the states

Reactions: 4 users
They just want you to pay them the 300K, match into ANYTHING regardless of your interest and GTFO. Based on what we've gone through at our DO school, it was a typical Caribbean school experience. We just happened to be located in the states
Minus the 50% attrition rate and the 60% residency match rate.

Thank you guys for the insights! I want to stay competitive and try to keep all doors as open as possible as I explore what I want to do and so this really helps! Thanks all! :)