Question about Applicants Health Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EHCMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Just a quick question, not pertaining to me of course, but a question none the less.

Last night I was at a church sponsored event when I get a call from a classmate/friend of mine. We made small talk about our class and our final grades ect, and then she asked me a question about medical school. And since I don't have this problem, I don't have an answer. So I thought I'd run through you guys!

The question is this: Can an person who is HIV + get accepted to Medical School? Can a person who is HIV+ get licensed and practice as an MD?

I know as a MS student you have to undergo physicals and vaccinations and testing but what happens if you test positive for HIV? Does that automatically disqualify you from medical school?

Just wondering...any info would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

According to other threads on SDN that I've read, yes, they can go to medical school and become a licensed physician.

I think there are some related questions in the confidential consult area where they discussed it.

IIRC, it should not be an issue. There might be an ethical requirement to disclose it (to a pt who asks) but I am unsure. I'd do a search of the confidential consults forum. That's generally where something like that would be found.

The big issue is NOT with med schools finding out about this or asking about this. In most instances it is illegal for med schools to require this information and illegal for them to deny a student admission based on their HIV status.

The largest barriers come with patient disclosure and obtaining malpractice insurance. Some states require that practitioners with HIV disclose this information to their patients (obviously the details vary from state to state). Also, malpractice insurance providers may require that the physician disclose their HIV status. Some companies won't insure or will charge high premiums for HIV + practitioners. Obviously this depends on specialty as well as insurance company (psychiatry = low risk for transmission, surgery = high risk).

So, basically med school should be do-able. However, there may be obstacles once a physician.

For more details I would recommend looking up individual states rules on licensing and insuring physicians (there is a lot of variation from state to state).