Jun 30, 2009
7
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

I have submitted my AMCAS on July 2 and they have received my transcripts and letters of recommendation, but my application has not yet been verified. As such, I have only received two secondary apps (BU/GW), since those schools send them out even before verification. Currently, I am also applying to Caribbean schools just in case (SGU and Ross). I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the following scenario and can offer advice: say I send in my application to the Caribbean schools, and hear back from them BEFORE I hear back from any or all of my US schools. Is there a way where I can not forfeit my seat in the Caribbean school but still wait to hear from the US schools?

Another option is that I can just wait to apply to the Caribbean later on so that I hear from any potential acceptances during or after acceptances to US schools.

Any input is much appreciated!
 

Flawless

Removed
Jul 18, 2009
39
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

I have submitted my AMCAS on July 2 and they have received my transcripts and letters of recommendation, but my application has not yet been verified. As such, I have only received two secondary apps (BU/GW), since those schools send them out even before verification. Currently, I am also applying to Caribbean schools just in case (SGU and Ross). I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the following scenario and can offer advice: say I send in my application to the Caribbean schools, and hear back from them BEFORE I hear back from any or all of my US schools. Is there a way where I can not forfeit my seat in the Caribbean school but still wait to hear from the US schools?

Another option is that I can just wait to apply to the Caribbean later on so that I hear from any potential acceptances during or after acceptances to US schools.

Any input is much appreciated!
Avoid Caribbean schools as much as you can.
 

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
2,128
0
Status
My guess is that you can hold a place at a Caribbean school with a hefty deposit, probably not refundable. For more information, see SDN's International Medicine Forum>Caribbean.
 

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
2,234
1
Status
Pre-Medical
Avoid Caribbean schools as much as you can.
Yeah that. I would say apply DO as backup rather than Caribbean. And if you don't get into MD or DO, I say reapply the following year. Just don't go Caribbean. You can check some of my other posts to understand why.

In short, there is a very high attrition rate, and future difficulty in attaining residency, and I won't even get into the common true story of licensing issues further down the road.