Question about application timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhcpdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have submitted my AMCAS on July 2 and they have received my transcripts and letters of recommendation, but my application has not yet been verified. As such, I have only received two secondary apps (BU/GW), since those schools send them out even before verification. Currently, I am also applying to Caribbean schools just in case (SGU and Ross). I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the following scenario and can offer advice: say I send in my application to the Caribbean schools, and hear back from them BEFORE I hear back from any or all of my US schools. Is there a way where I can not forfeit my seat in the Caribbean school but still wait to hear from the US schools?

Another option is that I can just wait to apply to the Caribbean later on so that I hear from any potential acceptances during or after acceptances to US schools.

Any input is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I have submitted my AMCAS on July 2 and they have received my transcripts and letters of recommendation, but my application has not yet been verified. As such, I have only received two secondary apps (BU/GW), since those schools send them out even before verification. Currently, I am also applying to Caribbean schools just in case (SGU and Ross). I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the following scenario and can offer advice: say I send in my application to the Caribbean schools, and hear back from them BEFORE I hear back from any or all of my US schools. Is there a way where I can not forfeit my seat in the Caribbean school but still wait to hear from the US schools?

Another option is that I can just wait to apply to the Caribbean later on so that I hear from any potential acceptances during or after acceptances to US schools.

Any input is much appreciated!

Avoid Caribbean schools as much as you can.

My guess is that you can hold a place at a Caribbean school with a hefty deposit, probably not refundable. For more information, see SDN's International Medicine Forum>Caribbean.

Avoid Caribbean schools as much as you can.

Yeah that. I would say apply DO as backup rather than Caribbean. And if you don't get into MD or DO, I say reapply the following year. Just don't go Caribbean. You can check some of my other posts to understand why.

In short, there is a very high attrition rate, and future difficulty in attaining residency, and I won't even get into the common true story of licensing issues further down the road.