Question about applying before taking the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shermanmurman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey you guys. I just had a question and I would really like everyones input on the subejct matter. I know that the ADEA opens up the fall 2008 cycle in mid may. I have heards some people tell me to apply as soon as it opens up, even if I havent taken my DAT. But here is my question:
If my GPA is not that great, would it be a good idea to get my DAT score first before I apply? I dont want the admissions to take a look at my GPA alone and say no before my DAT is even taken or have a negative look on my file. If I take the DAT in August, is that really late to apply? Thanks so much for any responses, Iam really confused

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that the schools don't really review your app until everything is submitted. Try to finish your app as soon as possible and take the DAT sooner than August. You don't want to wait too long because if you don't get the DAT scores you were hoping for, you have to wait 3 months to retake, which would put you back. I would recommend maybe taking the DAT no later than May so that, if necessary, you could retake it in August and still have your info submitted in decent time. But don't rush it, that could be bad. I took mine in May and after waiting for a committee interview, didn't get everything finalized til mid Aug, and I got most of my interviews. Also, like everyone says, it's not all about the gpa; if you're lacking in that area, maybe they'll look more at your experience, community service, etc. There are even parts of the DAT that some schools pay less attention to. Hope this helps, good luck!

Cyca24 gave pretty good advice. Just wanted to add that it takes roughly 2 months from when you hit the submit button until schools actually get your AADSAS application, and by that time, hopefully you'll have taken your DAT and can send those scores within a few days. So they'll get everything at about the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually they can reject you without DATs but they wait a few months to do that.

Definately get your application completed as soon as possible. AADSAS does not send your application out as soon as it's completed, it may take a few weeks before any schools receive it. The DAT's are sent to your designated schools as soon as you finish, so there's a chance all your materials may get there around the same time even though you took your DAT a 1-3 months after you submitted your application.

I personally submitted my AADSAS in early June, took my DAT in early August, and had my school send my LOR's around the same time I took my DAT. I suggest getting your LOR's done before that, but taking your DAT after you submit your AADSAS app. is no big deal.

Thank you so much for the advice. I never knew a school could reject you before you send them your DAT scores as noted above. Is this true??:(

Schools can reject you whenever they feel the need. The earlier the better, I say as that way you might have the possibility of getting in elsewhere with a late app. I got rejected from Case in September. They did have a complete application and fees. If the school denies you before you send in the secondary app and secondary fees then you come out ahead. If the deny you without DAT scores being sent then you might be able to save some more $$ on the application. Regardless of when you are rejected, it is usually a good idea to call the school to see what is lacking in your application. If you need to reapply then you'll know what you need to do.

Thank you, I guess I never looked at it in that light. :thumbup:

Do not delay sending your AADSAS application in for transcipt verification and LOR matching. Take the DAT by October at the latest and you should be fine.

Cyca24 gave pretty good advice. Just wanted to add that it takes roughly 2 months from when you hit the submit button until schools actually get your AADSAS application, and by that time, hopefully you'll have taken your DAT and can send those scores within a few days. So they'll get everything at about the same time.

I don't know about that. I took my DAT in mid August and got my first inerview invite in mid September.

nevermind, i didnt read it closely enough, u meant application, not dat...my bad