Question about applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before(cliche apology haha, but I'm short on time :( ), but is it absolutely necessary to get a letter of recommendation from a DO to apply to Osteopathic school? I've heard that's the case...but it seems a bit weird to me. Can someone clear it up? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think there are several osteopathic medical schools that take a letter from an MD or DO. I know Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine prefers a letter from a physician who has known the applicant for a long time, versus a few hours (thus they take letters from both MDs and DOs).

Look through each school's requirements.
http://www.aacom.org/colleges/

darn! they all pretty much require it from a DO specifically :(

Let's say I get in touch with a D.O. soon, would it be possible to work with them for a month and then get a letter of recommendation from them in time to apply early? :-D

I've heard of people doing it that way ;0 :thumbup: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
In my case, I only applied to PCOM and NYCOM and I did not have a letter from a DO (or MD for that matter). Results: PCOM acceptance, NYCOM interview that I declined. Hope that helps

Turkeyman said:

Let's say I get in touch with a D.O. soon, would it be possible to work with them for a month and then get a letter of recommendation from them in time to apply early? :-D

You don't have to submit a DO letter. It's just preferred by most schools. But what they really want to know is that you understand what Osteopathic Medicine is all about. If you can't get the letter, call the school's admissions office and let them know. I would suggest that you do some research on OMM or at least try to find a doc to shadow so that you're more versed in discussing Osteopathic philosophy at your interviews. Perhaps read a book. The DOs by Gevitz is a good start.

Good luck with you application. Let me know if I can give you any further advice.

Cyndi
AZCOM Class of 2007

I know that KCOM does not require a letter from a DO, but suggests one. I think that shadowing a DO for a month and then asking for a LOR is fine. I asked a DO the second time I meet her if she’d be willing to write me a LOR and she said “of course!” Just make sure that the DO can/will write you a positive letter.

I didn't get a letter and applied to two schools that don't require it, UMDNJ-SOM and PCOM. Got an acceptance at SOM and an interview at PCOM next week.

Turkeyman said:
Sorry if this has been asked before(cliche apology haha, but I'm short on time :( ), but is it absolutely necessary to get a letter of recommendation from a DO to apply to Osteopathic school? I've heard that's the case...but it seems a bit weird to me. Can someone clear it up? Thanks

why are you in such a hurry?? i mean it seems you have plenty of time. you can still get the general app stuff done early, but it would seem to me that you would still have 4-5 months to get some DO experience in and get a letter. unless you're doing some early acceptance thing or something (i have no idea what those are :rolleyes: ), the schools would probably not even start to look at letters until like august or september.

in addition, don't feel too bad about trying to get a letter from a DO that you haven't known too long...there is nothing wrong with that so to say. here is why...many people in academia or physicians know what it was like for themselves and they generally want to help a sincere individual succeed at their profession as well. i for one will write great letters for individuals when i am in the position to do so. (ones who i find sincere anyway)

so get to know one...give them some essays on you so maybe they can elaborate on you a little...but you should be able to get a great letter w/o knowing a DO that well. you certainly wouldn't be the only one. i happened to be lucky enough to work with a couple DOs so mine was easy. however, not everyone has that chance.

good luck!

It really depends on your situation. If you have a very strong letter from an MD who's known you a while, go with that. It will be far superior to a letter from a DO who's only just met you. I was accepted at 2 DO schools without a single DO letter because i had very strong MD letters. They do prefer DO letters, but it's not absolutely required, even though it says 'required' in most cases.

-E-
COMP 2008

Turkeyman said:

I think a month is plenty of time to get to know a DO and know the osteopathic ways in terms of a letter of rec. Perhaps when you shadow a DO you might want to explain that you're really interested in osteopathic medicine and are about to apply to medical school so to let him/her know that he/she might be helpful (so it's not a surprise that you ask him/her for a LOR). Make sure you're prepared though. One DO offerred to write me a letter (unfortunately after I had already applied) and he said his basic system was to have the student shadow and then do an interview-style meeting about DO principles and then based on that he would write a letter. I'm sure not all DOs are this systematic, but it never hurts to know a little bit about it so they know you're interested.

Personally, I had an MD letter of rec although I did emphasize in my application that I did also shadow a DO (but was not as close to the DO). No one really mentioned anything about it.

Thanks for all the replies guys....lots of options, looks like I'll be fine. Gobble gobble :thumbup: