Question about assistant professor offer at psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irene1504

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Ph.D. candidate in Social Work. Recently I`ve been offered an assistant professor position at the Psychiatry department. The position entails 50% of the pay and the rest will be covered from three major grants with low teaching load. They asked me about the base salary that I would consider?
I was wondering if someone have an experience with faculty position offers from school of medicine and how the salary would be calculated for a Ph.D.?
Thank you for sharing and for any advice you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! The AAMC has salary benchmark data broken down by degree (MD or PhD), department type, and region. You should be able to find a copy of the AAMC Salary Survey in any med school/AMC library. The salaries for PhDs in departments of psychiatry will mostly reflect psychologist salaries, but that's still a good place to start.

I am a Ph.D. candidate in Social Work.
I think this should be in the Psychology forum as that's where people with your degree and others like them hang out and discuss your job opportunities. I doubt many psychiatrists would know what non-psychiatrists do/make.