-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Question about being a Pharmicist ...
Started by LovinPsych
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Try this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=198059
And the search function is your friend - you can easily find all the answers you're looking for.
And the search function is your friend - you can easily find all the answers you're looking for.
I have always been curious but what does it take to become a pharmacist ? Like schooling , how long , and what all needs to be done ? Also any other info that maybe important . Thanks! 🙂
Welcome to the prepharmacy side of the house... as the above poster stated - Search is your friend - if after you search / research, you still need answers, feel free to post up.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pharmacy school takes 4 years.
Before that you must complete at least 2 years of college-level prerequisites.
I want to add 1 point that the total time is 6 years minimum.
I want to add 1 point that the total time is 6 years minimum.
Well actually 5 years if you go to UoP. And 4 years if you get a BS in Pharmacy but thats only offer in Canada and other countries except the USA.
Thank you , I'm checking it now . I've always liked medicine and have been heavily interested in it . Just I feel it's possible that I may enjoy being a Pharmacist only my love for psychology may not allow it . Is it possible to do both ? 😕 I want to be a Clinical Psychologist. 😳
If psychology is your first love, then I suggest doing that. Volunteer or work in a pharmacy to get experience to see if it is for you, because you'll regret going into a field that you don't like.
Oh yea I do agree there . I just know it takes some good years to be a Clinical Psychologist and from what I've read it takes some ample time to be a Pharmacist as well .
Oh yea I do agree there . I just know it takes some good years to be a Clinical Psychologist and from what I've read it takes some ample time to be a Pharmacist as well .
Hey there and welcome to pre-pharm.
I was a first-year doctoral-level Clinical Psychology student here in California before I fell in love with pharmacology and one thing led to another, and the next thing I knew I was reading Drugmonkey and working at a Walgreen's as a CphT, completely infatuated with pharmacy.
Much to the chagrin of the person's whose place I took in the Ph.D program, my mentor, my peers and my labmates, I withdrew from the program, sat back down in a California CC, and started ripping out pre-requisites. Starting from the basement level of Elementary Algebra to where I sit now starting Calc II in fall, it has taken 2 years. It's by no means an easy road, just as completing a Psychology Ph.D is not an easy road.
To answer your specific question about whether it's "possible" to be both a clinical psychologist and a pharmacist, the answer is yes, but with a caveat. You see, part of the difficulty in being a "psychologist" is not only the Ph.D acquisition, but also the 2000-3000 hours it takes of supervised therapy to be able to take the license exam in most states. After finishing your Ph.D., and adding on 1 to 2 years of post-doc/APPIC internship you're looking at ~8 years from the time you finish your BA/BS, then at least 2 years to fulfill Pharmacy req's (Which by NO MEANS are easy... at all), and then 3-4 years of hard-core, accelerated Pharmacy school classes. This is all assuming you have everything fall into place like Tetris, which as we all know, rarely happens.
You really need to take a step back, and think about what exactly it is that appeals to you about Pharmacy, and about Psychology. I sat down and made a list of Pros and Cons to both sides of the equation. For me, the biggest "con" to Pharmacy was the incredible amount of hard-science classes that I had to go back and take, things I hadn't taken for a decade (high school) or more, but I put up my dukes and started slogging through it.
If, in your heart of hearts, being a clinical psychologist is what you really want, stop adulterating your dreams with visions of being a pill pusher and focus on therapy.
Just curious - What exactly prompted this interest in Pharmacy? You mentioned a love for medicine. Why didn't you go into medicine instead of Psychology to begin with?
Hey there and welcome to pre-pharm.
I was a first-year doctoral-level Clinical Psychology student here in California before I fell in love with pharmacology and one thing led to another, and the next thing I knew I was reading Drugmonkey and working at a Walgreen's as a CphT, completely infatuated with pharmacy.
Much to the chagrin of the person's whose place I took in the Ph.D program, my mentor, my peers and my labmates, I withdrew from the program, sat back down in a California CC, and started ripping out pre-requisites. Starting from the basement level of Elementary Algebra to where I sit now starting Calc II in fall, it has taken 2 years. It's by no means an easy road, just as completing a Psychology Ph.D is not an easy road.
To answer your specific question about whether it's "possible" to be both a clinical psychologist and a pharmacist, the answer is yes, but with a caveat. You see, part of the difficulty in being a "psychologist" is not only the Ph.D acquisition, but also the 2000-3000 hours it takes of supervised therapy to be able to take the license exam in most states. After finishing your Ph.D., and adding on 1 to 2 years of post-doc/APPIC internship you're looking at ~8 years from the time you finish your BA/BS, then at least 2 years to fulfill Pharmacy req's (Which by NO MEANS are easy... at all), and then 3-4 years of hard-core, accelerated Pharmacy school classes. This is all assuming you have everything fall into place like Tetris, which as we all know, rarely happens.
You really need to take a step back, and think about what exactly it is that appeals to you about Pharmacy, and about Psychology. I sat down and made a list of Pros and Cons to both sides of the equation. For me, the biggest "con" to Pharmacy was the incredible amount of hard-science classes that I had to go back and take, things I hadn't taken for a decade (high school) or more, but I put up my dukes and started slogging through it.
If, in your heart of hearts, being a clinical psychologist is what you really want, stop adulterating your dreams with visions of being a pill pusher and focus on therapy.
Just curious - What exactly prompted this interest in Pharmacy? You mentioned a love for medicine. Why didn't you go into medicine instead of Psychology to begin with?
Thanks for your response . What prompted me was the fact I love medicine and I would love to learn more about it and help others with their medicines . My first love is to be a Clinical Psychologist , but I really want to be a Pharmacist too . I want to do both if I can . I didn't go into medicine instead because I believe Psychology is a calling for me , for a fact . Just I also have a strong passion for Pharmacy .
So I understand fully , are you saying you are becoming both then ?
If you are having issues deciding between these two jobs, I'd shadow several people and see which fits you better.
Really consider how the job would fit you and your personality. For instance, I'm in grad school right now. I went in because I love biology and thought I wanted to do research. But I figured out that I didn't like the uncertainty of research. Hence why I'm leaving research and going into pharmacy. I am finishing my degree, partially because it worked out that way. But I really want more patient contact, more knowledge of drug treatments, and I think pharmacy fits my personality more.
Figure out what a normal day for several careers in each field. Find out whether people switch jobs or stay with one. Figure out where you can live while doing these jobs (my husband wants to stay in academic research, so we'll have to live in cities with universities). This information should help you decide and more likely to make a choice you can stick with and be happy about.
Really consider how the job would fit you and your personality. For instance, I'm in grad school right now. I went in because I love biology and thought I wanted to do research. But I figured out that I didn't like the uncertainty of research. Hence why I'm leaving research and going into pharmacy. I am finishing my degree, partially because it worked out that way. But I really want more patient contact, more knowledge of drug treatments, and I think pharmacy fits my personality more.
Figure out what a normal day for several careers in each field. Find out whether people switch jobs or stay with one. Figure out where you can live while doing these jobs (my husband wants to stay in academic research, so we'll have to live in cities with universities). This information should help you decide and more likely to make a choice you can stick with and be happy about.
Thanks for your response . What prompted me was the fact I love medicine and I would love to learn more about it and help others with their medicines . My first love is to be a Clinical Psychologist , but I really want to be a Pharmacist too . I want to do both if I can . I didn't go into medicine instead because I believe Psychology is a calling for me , for a fact . Just I also have a strong passion for Pharmacy .
So I understand fully , are you saying you are becoming both then ?
Oh, hell no. I thought I made it pretty clear in my reply that I withdrew from the Psych Ph.D program fully. Doing both a Ph.D and a Pharm.D with all incumbent certifications/licenses/pre-requisites etc, I'd be well over 40 before I got competent in either of them.
I see no reason or need to be both a pharmacist and a psychologist, to be honest. If you enjoy working with pharmacology/medicine/medication, and enjoy therapy, why not go to medical school (Psychiatry...)? I question whether you truly know what goes into obtaining a Psychology Ph.D and a Pharm.D if you are actually considering that. 😕
If you are having issues deciding between these two jobs, I'd shadow several people and see which fits you better.
Really consider how the job would fit you and your personality. For instance, I'm in grad school right now. I went in because I love biology and thought I wanted to do research. But I figured out that I didn't like the uncertainty of research. Hence why I'm leaving research and going into pharmacy. I am finishing my degree, partially because it worked out that way. But I really want more patient contact, more knowledge of drug treatments, and I think pharmacy fits my personality more.
Figure out what a normal day for several careers in each field. Find out whether people switch jobs or stay with one. Figure out where you can live while doing these jobs (my husband wants to stay in academic research, so we'll have to live in cities with universities). This information should help you decide and more likely to make a choice you can stick with and be happy about.
Thanks 🙂 I didn't think much about location , that's something to consider .
Oh, hell no. I thought I made it pretty clear in my reply that I withdrew from the Psych Ph.D program fully. Doing both a Ph.D and a Pharm.D with all incumbent certifications/licenses/pre-requisites etc, I'd be well over 40 before I got competent in either of them.
I see no reason or need to be both a pharmacist and a psychologist, to be honest. If you enjoy working with pharmacology/medicine/medication, and enjoy therapy, why not go to medical school (Psychiatry...)? I question whether you truly know what goes into obtaining a Psychology Ph.D and a Pharm.D if you are actually considering that. 😕
No I don't know it all exactly , heck I am just starting everything and going to be an undergraduate soon . So I mean that's why I am asking everything . Either way I am sticking to Psychology but I can't help but be curious about pharmacy , so not to make the wrong or impossible choice in trying both , I felt I needed to ask around to those who are actually studying it.
No I don't know it all exactly , heck I am just starting everything and going to be an undergraduate soon . So I mean that's why I am asking everything . Either way I am sticking to Psychology but I can't help but be curious about pharmacy , so not to make the wrong or impossible choice in trying both , I felt I needed to ask around to those who are actually studying it.
Ah, you didn't mention your undergraduate status in your OP, so I really had no idea what your education level is in Psychology at the moment.
The path through Psychology into graduate school is a hard one, and after doing everything for it, your total time invested will be about 7 years conservatively (NOT including UG).
For example;
4 years UG ----> Postbac/Pre-doc Master's (if GPA <3.6/3.7 or poor GRE) ---> 6 years Ph.D, 1 year dissertation/postdoc, etc.
if I had stayed in my Doc program, I'd have been "in school" until 2015 at least, and I was in a fully-funded program with 90% APPIC match rates also.
You cannot seriously consider a Pharm.D in conjunction, or subsequent to, a Ph.D in Psychology. Not if your Ph.D means anything (i.e., it's not from Loma Linda or some other diploma mill, see the Psych. forums for that advice) anyway, and especially not if you're going for a state license to practice.
If you love pharmaceuticals speficically then focus your Undergrad research (Which I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend, get into it ASAP!!!) on what is known as Biopsychology, and you can minor in Chemistry or Pharmacology if that is available at your UG institution. This will give you chemical dependancy, neurochemistry, neurobiology, physiology and metabolism of pharmaceuticals/drugs etc, which might tickle your curiousity center for pharmacy.
As professions, Pharmacy and Psychology are as far apart from each other as CPA and Firefighter are. They may both, in some way, serve patients, but that's basically where the similarities end and they diverge rapidly. It is an unrealistic expectation, unless you are a millionaire and do not need to work at all for the next ~14 years, (4 years UG+6 years Doc[conservative]+2 years Pre-requisites for Pharm+3 years pharm), just forget about it.
Now, you could conceivably do all the pre-requisites for Pharmacy school while you're at UG studying Psychology, but only you can decide if you can maintain strong GPA in both Psychology and very tough math and science courses.
Then you're only looking at 4 years UG--->6 years Doc--->3 years Pharm school. This in a perfect world. Keep in mind you'll also need a healthy amount of pharmacy experience to get into pharmacy school, as in the next 5/6/7 years, it'll become more difficult to get into (As the field saturates).
There is no reason you cannot have an interest and specialize in Pharmaceuticals/therapeutic drugs.
Have you considered medical school? Psychiatry will amalgamize pharmacy and psychology almost the best out of any choice you could possibly have.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I hear, all you need is "a 2.8 gpa----56 pcat---zero volunteer, but great LOR's and 3 & 1/2 years pharm experience."
Good luck👍
LOL!!!
Two points for that reference.
Don't listen to Beast, he hasn't had his L-Dopa today.
Okay I was going to say I'd die if my GPA ever when that low . In High School right now my GPA is 3.9 .But I know college is like waaaaay different . Gosh too bad I can't do both , seems like it'd be impossible from what everyone has said . I don't know ... psychiatry doesn't interest me much like the two professions separated do . I don't know why though . 😕
Okay I was going to say I'd die if my GPA ever when that low . In High School right now my GPA is 3.9 .But I know college is like waaaaay different . Gosh too bad I can't do both , seems like it'd be impossible from what everyone has said . I don't know ... psychiatry doesn't interest me much like the two professions separated do . I don't know why though . 😕
Yeah, high school can't even be compared to any level of college, not even CC if the CC is high quality. While everyone still likes to say that HS GPA+SAT is a stable predictor of success at university, I am declined to disagree, but since I'm not Kaplan or whatever, my opinion doesn't matter.
Well, let me ask you this: Why does psychology interested you (i.e., being a clinpsy) but not Psychiatry? Do you know exactly what a clin.psy does on a daily basis, or is it something you just kinda think "sounds fun"? I find there's a large disparity between what people THINK a clin.psy does and what a clin.psy ACTUALLY does.
Especially those just beginning their undergrad.
I don't understand your question ? I don't think of this as " fun" I just believe it's what I am meant to do and be . I take the profession very seriously . So I am unsure how do you mean ? My understanding is a clinical psychologist does scientific research and studies on those with disorders . That they gain an understanding of mental dysfunctions and distress , prevent and relieve them . Also taking care and making a person's well being better . Am I wrong ? 😕 Just to name a few ...
I don't understand your question ? I don't think of this as " fun" I just believe it's what I am meant to do and be . I take the profession very seriously . So I am unsure how do you mean ? My understanding is a clinical psychologist does scientific research and studies on those with disorders . That they gain an understanding of mental dysfunctions and distress , prevent and relieve them . Also taking care and making a person's well being better . Am I wrong ? 😕 Just to name a few ...
Yes, that's the Wikipedia definition of a clin.psy pretty much. However, that's only the positive side. There's always dealing with insurance companies that want to cancel your client sessions after 5 or 6, there's dealing with ever present mental health funding cuts, there's dealing with getting a position that pays equal to the amount of schooling you have, there's dealing with getting insurance to even work with you (MFT/MSW are insurance sweethearts). Social/human services is not for everyone, for sure.
I didn't mean to insult you by saying that some people do it "for fun", what I mean is that a lot of people do not understand how much it sucks working in most settings as a therapist.
Given what you've said about why you like about being a Clin.Psy, I'm not sure why you'd not want to be a Psychiatrist? Can you explain what the difference is?
Oh noooo you didn't insult me . Just I didn't want you to think I one day thought hey I want to be a psychologist without researching and giving it serious thought . There was a time I hated psychologists in all honesty . Well for me , it's less about writing my patients prescriptions and more about helping them in other ways . I feel like psychologists have a greater hand over psychiatry . It's easier to write prescriptions and medicines for disorders . But to take time and research , question, tests etc to get a general understanding is better in my opinion . I'm not dissing psychiatrists but that's how I feel .
I'm seriously frustrated with how some insurance companies will not help people pay for long lasting sessions for however long they need . I know first hand how bad that is cause my father sees one weekly . For a while his therapy came to a halt because the insurance company didn't want to pay and there was outstanding amounts in bills hovering for months .
Pharmacy however , is like a whole different ball game . One doesn't cross over into the other profession . I guess I tend to allow the other split side of me to take over and try and tackle that other side that's opposite of what I am pursuing . That I try to find a way to work them both . Kind of like when I've seen some pursue medicine and law .
However , if you are telling me that it's not practical for many reasons and impossible to obtain a degree or ( degrees ) forgive my ignorance and a BA , MA , and finally a Ph.D including training , research , intership etc to be a Clinical Psychologist then I totally understand .
I'm seriously frustrated with how some insurance companies will not help people pay for long lasting sessions for however long they need . I know first hand how bad that is cause my father sees one weekly . For a while his therapy came to a halt because the insurance company didn't want to pay and there was outstanding amounts in bills hovering for months .
Pharmacy however , is like a whole different ball game . One doesn't cross over into the other profession . I guess I tend to allow the other split side of me to take over and try and tackle that other side that's opposite of what I am pursuing . That I try to find a way to work them both . Kind of like when I've seen some pursue medicine and law .
However , if you are telling me that it's not practical for many reasons and impossible to obtain a degree or ( degrees ) forgive my ignorance and a BA , MA , and finally a Ph.D including training , research , intership etc to be a Clinical Psychologist then I totally understand .
Oh noooo you didn't insult me . Just I didn't want you to think I one day thought hey I want to be a psychologist without researching and giving it serious thought . There was a time I hated psychologists in all honesty . Well for me , it's less about writing my patients prescriptions and more about helping them in other ways . I feel like psychologists have a greater hand over psychiatry . It's easier to write prescriptions and medicines for disorders . But to take time and research , question, tests etc to get a general understanding is better in my opinion . I'm not dissing psychiatrists but that's how I feel .
I'm seriously frustrated with how some insurance companies will not help people pay for long lasting sessions for however long they need . I know first hand how bad that is cause my father sees one weekly . For a while his therapy came to a halt because the insurance company didn't want to pay and there was outstanding amounts in bills hovering for months .
Pharmacy however , is like a whole different ball game . One doesn't cross over into the other profession . I guess I tend to allow the other split side of me to take over and try and tackle that other side that's opposite of what I am pursuing . That I try to find a way to work them both . Kind of like when I've seen some pursue medicine and law .
However , if you are telling me that it's not practical for many reasons and impossible to obtain a degree or ( degrees ) forgive my ignorance and a BA , MA , and finally a Ph.D including training , research , intership etc to be a Clinical Psychologist then I totally understand .
It isn't practical to have both a Pharm.D and a Ph.D in Psychology.
I understand how you feel about Psychology vs. Psychiatry, but really that'd be the best blend for you to pursue both the pharmacology side of the house and the therapy side of the house as one profession.
Now that I've understood why you want to be a Clin.Psy and why you don't want to be a Psychiatrist, what makes being a Pharmacist so intriguing to you? What facet of the job makes your heart sing?
It isn't practical to have both a Pharm.D and a Ph.D in Psychology.
I understand how you feel about Psychology vs. Psychiatry, but really that'd be the best blend for you to pursue both the pharmacology side of the house and the therapy side of the house as one profession.
Now that I've understood why you want to be a Clin.Psy and why you don't want to be a Psychiatrist, what makes being a Pharmacist so intriguing to you? What facet of the job makes your heart sing?
The in depth understanding of medicine . Pharmacists know more about medicine than even doctors ! I mean that's exciting . I am really good with remembering what medicines do , how long they last , side effects , I read up often and on alot of medications . I know that seems quite strange but I am always researching . Internet , books from the library , my own experiences etc . Researching is a huge part of my daily life . Most of my time online is spent reading , studying , and researching . While I obviously don't know everything there is to know about medicine . I know that I find it intriguing and something I'd try . But when push comes to shove , I'll have to let that side of me go and stick with Psychology . But yes in a perfect world of all things less and not so complicated I would have done both .
The in depth understanding of medicine . Pharmacists know more about medicine than even doctors ! I mean that's exciting . I am really good with remembering what medicines do , how long they last , side effects , I read up often and on alot of medications . I know that seems quite strange but I am always researching . Internet , books from the library , my own experiences etc . Researching is a huge part of my daily life . Most of my time online is spent reading , studying , and researching . While I obviously don't know everything there is to know about medicine . I know that I find it intriguing and something I'd try . But when push comes to shove , I'll have to let that side of me go and stick with Psychology . But yes in a perfect world of all things less and not so complicated I would have done both .
Yea, the immense amount of knowledge Pharmacists possess is pretty staggering, and I have heard many professionals say that they think Pharmacists are the most knowledgeable health care professionals in terms of medicine and mechanics of action.
Remember, look for Pharmacology minor degree programs at your university that might offer you both opportunities, and you can always work in a lab focused on Biopsychology.
Yea that is true .
So I dug up this thread cause I have some more questions .
I want to take several pre-requisite courses in my electives with my psychology classes for pharmacy . I'm planning carefully so not overdue on either . I want to be as efficient as possible .
I know it'll probably be very hard but I can't shake pharmacy for some reason .
So here are the courses my school offers and what i'd like to take . I'd love to know if I am on the right track and any advice would be welcomed greatly 🙂
MED150 Medical Pharmacology
3 credit hours
This course promotes a basic understanding of pharmacology,
calculations for children and adult dosages, common equivalencies,
drug abbreviations, sources and schedules; the use of pharmacology
references; review of body systems with focus on drugs utilized to treat
conditions of those systems; drug administration; and the importance
of accuracy and safety when dealing with medications.
Prerequisite: Successful completion or placement into MAT107.
MAT107 College Algebra
3 credit hours
The first course in the College Algebra sequence. Topics in this course
include applications of equations and rational expressions, radical
expressions, equations containing radical expressions, systems of
linear equations, inequalities, quadratic equations and their applications,
graphs and the interpretation of graphs of linear equations,
linear inequalities, and quadratics. Students will also be introduced to
exponential and logarithmic functions.
Prerequisite: Completion of MAT097 or MAT100 with a "C" or better
MAT110 Precalculus Mathematics
3 credit hours
This course includes a study of polynomial, exponential, logarithmic
and trigonometric functions and their applications, ruler and compass
constructions, plane analytic geometry, cartesian and polar coordinates,
pythagorean theorem, law of sines, combinations and permutations,
algebra of sets and normal distribution.
MAT115 Introduction to Calculus
3 credit hours
Students are introduced to both differential and integral calculus in this
course. The concepts of limits, derivation, differentiation, and integration
of functions are presented. The relationship of calculus to other fields
and its value in addressing problems and their solutions in real-world
settings are also discussed.
Prerequisite: MAT107 or its equivalent.
CHM100 General Chemistry
3 credit hours
This foundation course introduces the student to basic chemistry concepts
and medical terminology essential to understanding some medical
concepts. Atomic theory, the periodic table, chemical bonding, chemical
formulas and names, diffusion, osmosis, pH, buffer systems, electrolytes,
ionization, and equilibrium are some basic chemistry topics. Students
will develop a medical vocabulary of words and phrases commonly used
in the healthcare environment.
BIO110 Understanding Human Anatomy
3 credit hours
This course covers the structure and function of the human body with
emphasis on understanding the basic systems that make up our bodies.
Students will be able to identify the fundamental components of the
integumentary, muscular, nervous, circulatory, digestive, respiratory,
urinary, endocrine, and reproductive systems. In addition, students will
acquire a basic understanding of the functional relationships between
these systems.
BIO115 Fundamentals of Human Physiology
3 credit hours
This course describes how the major organs and tissues in the human
body function. Basic anatomy is also reviewed to help describe the
location and function of major organs and tissues. Instructional topics
include the heart, blood vessels, lungs, skin, gastrointestinal system,
urinary system, hormones, liver and interstitial fluid. The interrelationship
between selected organs and tissues is also presented. Medical
conditions and disease states are introduced as pathologically altered
physiology to help students relate better to the instructional topics.
BIO120 Human Anatomy and Physiology
3 credit hours
Principles of human anatomy and physiology are introduced, including
the internal regulatory mechanisms which maintain an individual in a
healthy state. The relationship between normal structure and function
emphasized so that the student may have a basis to continue with
course emphasizing altered health states.
I want to take several pre-requisite courses in my electives with my psychology classes for pharmacy . I'm planning carefully so not overdue on either . I want to be as efficient as possible .
I know it'll probably be very hard but I can't shake pharmacy for some reason .
So here are the courses my school offers and what i'd like to take . I'd love to know if I am on the right track and any advice would be welcomed greatly 🙂
MED150 Medical Pharmacology
3 credit hours
This course promotes a basic understanding of pharmacology,
calculations for children and adult dosages, common equivalencies,
drug abbreviations, sources and schedules; the use of pharmacology
references; review of body systems with focus on drugs utilized to treat
conditions of those systems; drug administration; and the importance
of accuracy and safety when dealing with medications.
Prerequisite: Successful completion or placement into MAT107.
MAT107 College Algebra
3 credit hours
The first course in the College Algebra sequence. Topics in this course
include applications of equations and rational expressions, radical
expressions, equations containing radical expressions, systems of
linear equations, inequalities, quadratic equations and their applications,
graphs and the interpretation of graphs of linear equations,
linear inequalities, and quadratics. Students will also be introduced to
exponential and logarithmic functions.
Prerequisite: Completion of MAT097 or MAT100 with a "C" or better
MAT110 Precalculus Mathematics
3 credit hours
This course includes a study of polynomial, exponential, logarithmic
and trigonometric functions and their applications, ruler and compass
constructions, plane analytic geometry, cartesian and polar coordinates,
pythagorean theorem, law of sines, combinations and permutations,
algebra of sets and normal distribution.
MAT115 Introduction to Calculus
3 credit hours
Students are introduced to both differential and integral calculus in this
course. The concepts of limits, derivation, differentiation, and integration
of functions are presented. The relationship of calculus to other fields
and its value in addressing problems and their solutions in real-world
settings are also discussed.
Prerequisite: MAT107 or its equivalent.
CHM100 General Chemistry
3 credit hours
This foundation course introduces the student to basic chemistry concepts
and medical terminology essential to understanding some medical
concepts. Atomic theory, the periodic table, chemical bonding, chemical
formulas and names, diffusion, osmosis, pH, buffer systems, electrolytes,
ionization, and equilibrium are some basic chemistry topics. Students
will develop a medical vocabulary of words and phrases commonly used
in the healthcare environment.
BIO110 Understanding Human Anatomy
3 credit hours
This course covers the structure and function of the human body with
emphasis on understanding the basic systems that make up our bodies.
Students will be able to identify the fundamental components of the
integumentary, muscular, nervous, circulatory, digestive, respiratory,
urinary, endocrine, and reproductive systems. In addition, students will
acquire a basic understanding of the functional relationships between
these systems.
BIO115 Fundamentals of Human Physiology
3 credit hours
This course describes how the major organs and tissues in the human
body function. Basic anatomy is also reviewed to help describe the
location and function of major organs and tissues. Instructional topics
include the heart, blood vessels, lungs, skin, gastrointestinal system,
urinary system, hormones, liver and interstitial fluid. The interrelationship
between selected organs and tissues is also presented. Medical
conditions and disease states are introduced as pathologically altered
physiology to help students relate better to the instructional topics.
BIO120 Human Anatomy and Physiology
3 credit hours
Principles of human anatomy and physiology are introduced, including
the internal regulatory mechanisms which maintain an individual in a
healthy state. The relationship between normal structure and function
emphasized so that the student may have a basis to continue with
course emphasizing altered health states.
Looks good to me, except you'll want to ensure your Chemistry class is one "designed for science majors", and a series. Almost every CoP I've looked at, (Actually, every CoP) has required a full series of Gen Chem.
Looks good to me, except you'll want to ensure your Chemistry class is one "designed for science majors", and a series. Almost every CoP I've looked at, (Actually, every CoP) has required a full series of Gen Chem.
When you say full series do you mean also several chem classes ? Cause from what I see they only offer one class and that's the class you said I should ask if it's " designed for science majors " . I'd have to call and ask though , they may have an updated course catalog by now . This is from the 2008-2009 catalog and they have added new courses .
I don't understand your question ? I don't think of this as " fun" I just believe it's what I am meant to do and be . I take the profession very seriously . So I am unsure how do you mean ? My understanding is a clinical psychologist does scientific research and studies on those with disorders . That they gain an understanding of mental dysfunctions and distress , prevent and relieve them . Also taking care and making a person's well being better . Am I wrong ? 😕 Just to name a few ...
Are you going to a liberal arts college? If so, you likely have some time to decide. Part of the beauty of a liberal arts college is it will allow you to grow, become a part of the university community, discuss with others, and mature before you have to declare a major.
However, if that option isn't for you, the only way you will ever decide is to experience both. You seem very intelligent and I think, just from what I can infer from your posts here, that you will do well in whatever you do.
With that being said, it should be no large obstacle for you get the ability to shadow both professions. I will suggest to you, however, that you seek out and shadow young professionals in both fields. You will relate with them much better because you'll be of similar age and they will be more apt to 'tolerate' - for lack of a better term - your questions.
Don't let it be a daunting task or intimidating, just do it! There's nothing worse than prolonging your college life by changing your career goal three years into it. You want to do the research now to avoid the lost time and money later!
😎
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you say full series do you mean also several chem classes ? Cause from what I see they only offer one class and that's the class you said I should ask if it's " designed for science majors " . I'd have to call and ask though , they may have an updated course catalog by now . This is from the 2008-2009 catalog and they have added new courses .
yes, a full series, like Chemistry 1 and Chemistry 2, for a simplified example. And yea, you'll need to make SURE they're designed for the sciences. A lot of those classes are designed for non-science majors and thus will be of less use to you, if not outright unacceptable.
When you say full series do you mean also several chem classes ? Cause from what I see they only offer one class and that's the class you said I should ask if it's " designed for science majors " . I'd have to call and ask though , they may have an updated course catalog by now . This is from the 2008-2009 catalog and they have added new courses .
Generally speaking, Chemistry and Organic Chemistry are broken up into multiple classes. Chemistry I w/ Lab, Chemistry II w/ Lab, Organic Chemistry I w/ Lab, Organic Chemistry II w/ Lab.
Depending on what major you chose, you may also have to take some more of the series in chemistry classes, such as Biochemistry. Keep in mind, though, that this is only major required. You'll want to inquire with prospective pharmacy schools about their requirements.
Any decent advisor will be able to help you stay on the right course load to prepare you for pharmacy. SDN is a great resource as well.
You guys are so awesome and helpful! Thanks . If you think of anything else please do tell 🙂 .
Well until I can talk to my Assistant Director of Admissions Monday I won't know if all of the Chems are available as from what I can see from the website it appears only that one Chem course is . If that is the only Chem course and it is designed for a science major , will that hurt me not having the rest of the series ?
What is a liberal arts college ? I know this is a professional school , the one I am attending . Thanks for the compliment 🙂 I'd like to think I am intelligent ( without sounding cocky ) . I am very diligent and driven in everything I do and I really want to try these two out . I really love them both . I feel so torn . 🙁
Well until I can talk to my Assistant Director of Admissions Monday I won't know if all of the Chems are available as from what I can see from the website it appears only that one Chem course is . If that is the only Chem course and it is designed for a science major , will that hurt me not having the rest of the series ?
What is a liberal arts college ? I know this is a professional school , the one I am attending . Thanks for the compliment 🙂 I'd like to think I am intelligent ( without sounding cocky ) . I am very diligent and driven in everything I do and I really want to try these two out . I really love them both . I feel so torn . 🙁
To me, a liberal arts college is a community college.
Most Pharmacy schools require a year of Chemistry, and that's gotta be a series (obviously). So not having a series will ruin you.
A professional school like University of Phoenix or what?
BTW, might want to edit your title - Pharmacist is spelled incorrectly. The natives are restless. 🙂
Most Pharmacy schools require a year of Chemistry, and that's gotta be a series (obviously). So not having a series will ruin you.
A professional school like University of Phoenix or what?
BTW, might want to edit your title - Pharmacist is spelled incorrectly. The natives are restless. 🙂
To me, a liberal arts college is a community college.
Most Pharmacy schools require a year of Chemistry, and that's gotta be a series (obviously). So not having a series will ruin you.
A professional school like University of Phoenix or what?
BTW, might want to edit your title - Pharmacist is spelled incorrectly. The natives are restless. 🙂
Unfortunately I don't see how to change the title , sorry about the typo . Gosh that really sucks , what do I do then ? 🙁 It's Argosy University , Professional School of Psychology . I'm attending a 3.5-4 year college so it's not a community one .
Unfortunately I don't see how to change the title , sorry about the typo . Gosh that really sucks , what do I do then ? 🙁 It's Argosy University , Professional School of Psychology . I'm attending a 3.5-4 year college so it's not a community one .
Oh... hm. That's an interesting question actually...
I don't know how Argosy's classes are treated by the CoPs, to be honest. I really have no idea...
The Professional School of Psychology, is that a Ph.D program then? That must be costly... Are you considering finishing that and then going to Pharmacy school also??
Oh... hm. That's an interesting question actually...
I don't know how Argosy's classes are treated by the CoPs, to be honest. I really have no idea...
The Professional School of Psychology, is that a Ph.D program then? That must be costly... Are you considering finishing that and then going to Pharmacy school also??
They offer Ph.D programs but I have to start my undergrad studies first ( BA ) to move up to grad school . I am unsure really that's why I wanted to take the pre-requisites cause it leaves my options open you know ? I meant to ask what is a CoP ?
They offer Ph.D programs but I have to start my undergrad studies first ( BA ) to move up to grad school . I am unsure really that's why I wanted to take the pre-requisites cause it leaves my options open you know ? I meant to ask what is a CoP ?
Ah... OK.
CoP is short for College of Pharmacy, also you'll see it SoP, School of Pharmacy.
Well, you might as well complete your Bachelor's and do as muc of the PR as you can... Yeah. If it turns out, in the future, that your pre-requisites are not fully sufficient, you can pop into a CC and finish whatever you need to finish. But, what you should do to be fully diligent is call all the CoP (Or e-mail) that you're interested in looking at (I.e., what's closest to you, perhaps?) and see how they feel about this single Chemistry course.
Thanks for the advice yea I'll definitely do that . Are Pharmacy schools fully funded ? partially ? Or is like other schools you must take out more loans ?
Well actually 5 years if you go to UoP. And 4 years if you get a BS in Pharmacy but thats only offer in Canada and other countries except the USA.
or any other accelerated 3 year pharm d program.
Thanks for the advice yea I'll definitely do that . Are Pharmacy schools fully funded ? partially ? Or is like other schools you must take out more loans ?
Pharmacy school is completely unfunded, even state schools, unlike academic PhD programs. This is because Pharmacy schools are open to make money, and the graduates don't stick around to produce research for the institution like they would normally after finishing, say, a Psychology PhD at a state school.
Prices range dramatically based on geographic location but generally you can plan on about $20,000 to $30,000 a year. Loans, loans, loans!
Ew I hate that word loans ,lol. Thanks for that . Well gosh I've got alot of thinking to do ! Is it generally 2-4 years ? Or 6 years in all ? I think I've heard 6 years ? 😕
Ew I hate that word loans ,lol. Thanks for that . Well gosh I've got alot of thinking to do ! Is it generally 2-4 years ? Or 6 years in all ? I think I've heard 6 years ? 😕
There are lots of different kinds.
The 6 year programs, called 0-6s, are pretty much only for HS graduates without any college at all.
Since you'll ostensibly have a bachelor's degree before you apply to CoPs, you'll be looking at 3 years for accelerated programs or 4 years for normal programs.
Wow really ? After 4 years you're a pharmacist ?
Wow really ? After 4 years you're a pharmacist ?
You have to pass the NAPLEX of course, but yes.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 59
- Views
- 10K