Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello fellow nontraditional students,
So I first went to college in 1993, at the time the core biology sequence started in the spring and then continued with all 3 trimesters the following year. So, I wound up taking the following courses and associated labs:
BIO 220 Genetics & Evolution
BIO 221 Molecular Biology
BIO 222 Cellular Biochemistry
BIO 223 Cellular Physiology
The problem is that I failed the last course. When I first started going back to school, the premed advisor told me that she thought that I would be OK in terms of fulfilling the biology requirement since I had taken and passed 3 trimesters. So rather that repeat basic biology, I decided to take some upper division courses instead: Cell Bio, Genetics and Evolution. This year I plan on taking a full year of Anatomy and Physiology. Now all of a sudden I feel like I should cover myself by taking a full year of Principles of Biology. I really dont want to, but I am just not sure I trust the premed advisor.
I plan on applying next summer after I finish my 2nd degree, which will be in Biochemistry. So if I apply and I am missing part of the biology requirement, will medical schools just throw out the application, or will they notify me that I need to take another biology class or perhaps the entire sequence? It seems like it might be tough to replace 1 course in a sequence with 1 course in a sequence from a different university over 10 years later. Which means taking the entire sequence might be the only option.
Over the last 2 years I have taken a lot of courses to raise my GPA, so I would hate to be rejected on somewhat of a technicality. Anyone have any advice?
So I first went to college in 1993, at the time the core biology sequence started in the spring and then continued with all 3 trimesters the following year. So, I wound up taking the following courses and associated labs:
BIO 220 Genetics & Evolution
BIO 221 Molecular Biology
BIO 222 Cellular Biochemistry
BIO 223 Cellular Physiology
The problem is that I failed the last course. When I first started going back to school, the premed advisor told me that she thought that I would be OK in terms of fulfilling the biology requirement since I had taken and passed 3 trimesters. So rather that repeat basic biology, I decided to take some upper division courses instead: Cell Bio, Genetics and Evolution. This year I plan on taking a full year of Anatomy and Physiology. Now all of a sudden I feel like I should cover myself by taking a full year of Principles of Biology. I really dont want to, but I am just not sure I trust the premed advisor.
I plan on applying next summer after I finish my 2nd degree, which will be in Biochemistry. So if I apply and I am missing part of the biology requirement, will medical schools just throw out the application, or will they notify me that I need to take another biology class or perhaps the entire sequence? It seems like it might be tough to replace 1 course in a sequence with 1 course in a sequence from a different university over 10 years later. Which means taking the entire sequence might be the only option.
Over the last 2 years I have taken a lot of courses to raise my GPA, so I would hate to be rejected on somewhat of a technicality. Anyone have any advice?