question about buying books

Started by jamesmku
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jamesmku

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is it worth it to buy books online now? i've heard that some classes, some teachers do not even use the books, but rather use their own notes. are many classes based on handouts? is it worth it to just xerox notes? etc.... if anyone can share some insight, i would appreciate it much.
 
Just going by the string of prerequisites I've taken over the past couple of years, it varies by teacher. In my Microbiology class I just finished, she recommended the book, but virtually everything she expected us to know were in the handouts. This was the trend in most of the classes I took, but some (like Anatomy/Phys.) you definitely needed the book quite a bit.

I'd just wait until the class started or you talked to each teacher.
 
i should've been a bit more clear. i meant books for PT school, not for undergrad.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would say not to buy books until you are required to. Each program and each professor likes different books for their curriculum. Wait until you have the syllabus and then talk to the students in the classes above you whether certain books are worth buying. That's what I did and it saved me a ton of money and room on my shelves.
 
I would say not to buy books until you are required to. Each program and each professor likes different books for their curriculum. Wait until you have the syllabus and then talk to the students in the classes above you whether certain books are worth buying. That's what I did and it saved me a ton of money and room on my shelves.

Agree. I asked some second year students and they told me to just worry about getting the anatomy books. The other classes that I am taking right now (Kinesiology and Exercise Physiology) they said you can just follow the notes. Also, I bought my online at half.com and got brand new books for the price of used ones, saving about $60 if I have bought at the college bookstore. The only downside from that is that it may take a few days for you to get it, but I believe its worth it.
 
Yeah, just wait for the professor, or if you can ask him/her or some students. Is true even if a book is listed as "required" the professor may not use it at all.