question about calculating GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have two questions:

Since I am applying for the fall 2009, and the application for that hasn't opened yet, I dont know how to calculate the GPA...

For the science GPA, do you only include the prerequisite courses or all science classes or all science and all math classes?

Also, when I was a freshman I took gen chem 2 and got a C- in it. I took it again later and I got an A. The thing is, I petitioned to get the C- erased and my petition was approved. So even though my transcript says that I took gen chem and I got a C- in it, the A grade is the only one that counts. In other words, my transcript mentions both grades, but the transcript also has a marking which signifies that the C- doesn't count. When I am calculating my GPA, should I include both grades or just the A since that is the only one that counts on my transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

For the science gpa, I used this pdf file for all of the calculations
http://www.aacpm.org/apply/2007/PDF07APPINSTR.pdf

And for the repeat courses taken, I used both grades for the gpa calculation. If I remember correctly, I think it all depends of what schools you apply to when calculating repeated courses. Good luck.

PJAG, THANKS! That PDF was very helpful - thanks! (PS Any more goodies you could pass on that are digital in nature? If so please PM me, thanks!)

Members don't see this ad :)
This really has nothing to do with this thread, but I just wanted to wish the '13 applicants good luck!!

It's a long road, but I hope you all get the programs you want!

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

PJAG, THANKS! That PDF was very helpful - thanks! (PS Any more goodies you could pass on that are digital in nature? If so please PM me, thanks!)

Well I don't have anything digital I can send you but I do have a couple of words of advice in regards to applying. During the time when I was applying to the schools I also checked out the statistics of the applicants & matriculants(from aacpm.org) to get a good idea of how competitive each school was. It is up to you for interpreting the statistical information. Also make sure to have all your LOR's ready.

And lastly make sure to check out the interview feedback section on SDN for any of your podiatry school interviews. I used the interview database & mock interviews to help prepare for my interviews. I know that this last piece of advice is a bit premature, but hopefully you just keep it in mind.

thanks the responses...and the pdf was really helpful.

I also do have one more question though :)

I transfered to another university after my first two years. At my first school, a full credit class was 3 credits and a lab was 1 credit. At my other school, a full credit class was 4 credits and a lab was 2 credits. I also have taken a lot more classes at the second school. So obviously then, my GPA will be greater influenced by my GPA from my second school. On the pdf, it doesn't mention how to accomodate for this. Any of you know what I should do?

Should I just calculate my GPA the way it says in the pdf...just keeping the credit hours the way they are on each of my transcripts? Will the schools or AACPM recalculate my GPA so that all the full classes are worth the same and all the labs are worth the same? I tried calling AACPM to ask about this but the woman didn't understand what I was asking.

Michk
The AACPM, or any other admissions committee, don't get to decide the number of hours each school accounts for - for a specific class. The factors are the semester vs quarter, the number of hours, and the weighted score.
Some schools have different curriculum's for classes and less/more hours required per class per week and thus different end state credit. I think as long as you calculate with the shown criteria you will be doing the right thing; yes I think you calculate them the same as on your transcripts but I do not see a reason why there would be a 'correction'. The class credit hours is defined by your school not AACPM.. hope this helps!

Should I just calculate my GPA the way it says in the pdf...just keeping the credit hours the way they are on each of my transcripts? Will the schools or AACPM recalculate my GPA so that all the full classes are worth the same and all the labs are worth the same? I tried calling AACPM to ask about this but the woman didn't understand what I was asking.

Get in contact with an advisor from a school of your choice. Ask them about your dilemma. Quite honestly, I think that there is no extra/separate conversion for the GPA calculation. Just do the simple calculation according to the pdf.

thanks the responses...and the pdf was really helpful.

I also do have one more question though :)

I transfered to another university after my first two years. At my first school, a full credit class was 3 credits and a lab was 1 credit. At my other school, a full credit class was 4 credits and a lab was 2 credits. I also have taken a lot more classes at the second school. So obviously then, my GPA will be greater influenced by my GPA from my second school. On the pdf, it doesn't mention how to accomodate for this. Any of you know what I should do?

I had the same problem, and I calculated it by the number of hours of each specific class.