question about caribbean, dont move please, more people on here than the carib.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

supernareg

So if you goto a caribbean medschool, (any of the top 4)

when u coem back to the US and do residency, after passing the 3 USMLE's, are there any ADDITIONAL tests one must take before becoming a "non-resident" / full MD?

or do you have to stay in residency a year longer? someone said to me that you have to go through a longer residency period than US grads....

So, besides it being more competitive to attain a spot for US residency, Is there anything differnet from carib grads than US grads? (as in more tests, longer residency, etc, etc)???

i'm dont know if i'll get in US-allo this year, and i wont be doing any post bacc, i'd rather spend the time towards gettin my MD.

Members don't see this ad.

This thread was owned by the moderator!

My God, you have not done enough basic research.

-No more tests other than the USMLEs

-WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU HAVE A LONGER RESIDENCY...HAHAHAHA! Whoever told you that is an idiot.

Members don't see this ad :)
looks liek ur the idiot....

from the ECFMG website:

"If you are an international medical graduate and wish to enter an ACGME-accredited residency or fellowship program in the United States, you must be certified by ECFMG before you can enter the program. You must also be certified by ECFMG if you wish to take Step 3 of the three-step United States Medical Licensing Examination™ (USMLE™). ECFMG Certification is required to obtain an unrestricted license to practice medicine.

To be certified by ECFMG, you must pass a series of exams; you must also provide ECFMG with copies of your medical education credentials, which ECFMG will verify directly with your medical school. The certification process begins when you submit your first application for examination to ECFMG. At this time, ECFMG will assign you an identification number that you will use throughout the certification process."

Or really? :laugh:

haha...you dumb kids are all the same.

You come here demanding answers and when people give them to you, you rattle off some nonsense and you think you made a point.

Do you even know what the ECFMG is and what it does? I bet you don't and the series of exams they are talking about are Step 1 and Step 2.

Ooooops, kind of makes you look foolish, eh?

I forgive you. Not everyone can be intelligent. We have to love the dumb ones, too:love:

looks liek ur the idiot....

from the ECFMG website:

"If you are an international medical graduate and wish to enter an ACGME-accredited residency or fellowship program in the United States, you must be certified by ECFMG before you can enter the program. You must also be certified by ECFMG if you wish to take Step 3 of the three-step United States Medical Licensing Examination™ (USMLE™). ECFMG Certification is required to obtain an unrestricted license to practice medicine.

To be certified by ECFMG, you must pass a series of exams; you must also provide ECFMG with copies of your medical education credentials, which ECFMG will verify directly with your medical school. The certification process begins when you submit your first application for examination to ECFMG. At this time, ECFMG will assign you an identification number that you will use throughout the certification process."

so please inform me, mr. smarty pants, whats the differnece b/w IMG and FMG? whats the ECFMG do?

so please inform me, mr. smarty pants, whats the differnece b/w IMG and FMG? whats the ECFMG do?

International
Medical
Graduate

Foreign
Medical
Graduate

IMG - generally an American who leaves the US/Canada to go to medical school and then returns for residency

FMG - generally a non-US or non-Canadian citizen who graduates from a non-US/Canadian medical school and gets a residency in the US

Some people use them interchangeably because there is no authoritative body to clarify the definition.

ECFMG - Makes sure all those IMGs and FMGs who want to get a residency in the US graduated from a qualified medical school and have passed the proper exams (USMLE). This also includes making sure that the required clinical rotations have been met. They probably do more but you have the link to the website and I don't feel like looking it up.

My God, you have not done enough basic research.

-No more tests other than the USMLEs

-WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU HAVE A LONGER RESIDENCY...HAHAHAHA! Whoever told you that is an idiot.

I feel sorry for you...your whole life is one sarcastic and rude remark after another. Have you noticed that you rarely ever answer a question without attaching some kind of rude or sarcastic remark to it? Were you neglected as a child? Cause it seems to me that you were. I wonder how your patients are going to react when you examine them and they ask you a simple question...that would be scary. Sure you could be a doctor, maybe even a really rich and powerful one. But you have a crappy soul, and I am sure your conscience will chew you up and spit out the remains one of these days, if not soon.

You are the cutest little pop-psychologist.:love:

Something tells me you are really cute. Post a picture!

I feel sorry for you...your whole life is one sarcastic and rude remark after another. Have you noticed that you rarely ever answer a question without attaching some kind of rude or sarcastic remark to it? Were you neglected as a child? Cause it seems to me that you were. I wonder how your patients are going to react when you examine them and they ask you a simple question...that would be scary. Sure you could be a doctor, maybe even a really rich and powerful one. But you have a crappy soul, and I am sure your conscience will chew you up and spit out the remains one of these days, if not soon.

You're a girl, right?

You're a girl, right?

I AGREE,,,THIS GUY THINKS HE IS THE MASTER OF ALL DOCTORS,,STAY IN CANADA,,YOU SHOULD SEE MCGILLBOY OVER AT VMD,,,LOL:eek: HE KNOWS BETTER NOT TO MESS WITH ME THOUGH

In residency you still have to take the inservice exams/Absite exams and whatever exams your residency feels like subjecting you to. Plus you got to take the medical board of specialties exams if you want to be board certified in your specialty (which you want to be else you will not be compensated by insurance companies and medicare, who represent most of your payment sources).

In most states, IMG/FMGs are required 3 years of residency to be given a license. Some states are okay with 2. Most AMGs only need 1 year of residency to get the license.. some require 2. DOs usually need 1 (yes DO have it better than regular allo american graduates. Here is the link for different license requirements by state. You will notice osteopathic requires 1 year in some states while allopathic requires 2. E.g. Michigan, Penn... etc)

Step 3 is required for license in most states.. I heard Florida last year took that off the requirement.

Step 3 is not required to match unless you are not a green card holder or a US citizen... because you need step 3 for ECFMG to sponser you for an H1 visa or a J1 visa. US cit/green card holders have an advantage there but it seems to be diminishing as many residencies dont have issues sponsering visas.

I AGREE,,,THIS GUY THINKS HE IS THE MASTER OF ALL DOCTORS,,STAY IN CANADA,,YOU SHOULD SEE MCGILLBOY OVER AT VMD,,,LOL:eek: HE KNOWS BETTER NOT TO MESS WITH ME THOUGH

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're a girl right?

If I was a fine, busty blonde and if you were to have already known that, your attitude towards me would be totally different...cause you're a superficial person. :D

If I was a fine, busty blonde and if you were to have already known that, your attitude towards me would be totally different...cause you're a superficial person. :D

You posts mean nothing without pictures.

More flesh, less talk!:idea:

Or really? :laugh:

haha...you dumb kids are all the same.

You come here demanding answers and when people give them to you, you rattle off some nonsense and you think you made a point.

Do you even know what the ECFMG is and what it does? I bet you don't and the series of exams they are talking about are Step 1 and Step 2.

Ooooops, kind of makes you look foolish, eh?

I forgive you. Not everyone can be intelligent. We have to love the dumb ones, too:love:

what is with you??????????? insulting others, playing mr know it all, shooting down others with legitimate questions and concerns? I gotta say you have a way with words and you will make a fine something some day too