question about classes and volunteering...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am doing a postbacc to reapply to dental school...the thing is, I took physics I and II and got B's in them. The first time I took gen chem I, I got a D, retook it and got a B (this is all during my undergrad career) Now my question is, I shouldn't retake physics or gen chem I again during my postbacc right? I was hoping I could do the program in one year and take Orgo I, Bio I and an upper level bio the first semester...and then in the second semester take Orgo II, Bio II and Gen Chem II. Any advice...the premed advisor for my postbacc is hard to reach, until I move into school in a month. Second question...what do you guys do for volunteering experience...I mean I volunteered last summer at a dentists office, but what else can you do? Do you guys just volunteer in general (hospital, red cross etc.), or you do volunteer at some type of dental clinic or something like that? ANY advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

hey..
i am going to be starting a post bac program myself in a month. a few folks i have talked to including current dental students suggested i take upper level science classes rather than repeating courses. and then follow it by kicking butt on the DAT.
as for volunteering, i guess u should do something that is fun and makes u happy. i personally love cooking -- every now and then i volunteer at a homeless shelter subjecting the assembled souls to my culinary (in)expertise!! :)
cheers, KK

As far as volunteering goes, try and see if there is a VA (Veterans Affair) hospital in your county/region. They usually have a couple dentist working there (who are veterans themselves probably). A lot of them can use the help.

Even better, if you want to improve your manual dexterity and prepare for some dental courses, see if you can get a job or volunteer with a dental technician.

Disco 4ever

What is a Post bach? Is that for a masters?