question about "Clinical Dentistry"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

th0mast33

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly does it mean when a school (ie: Temple) says they are reknown for their "clinical dentistry"? Is clinical dentistry just dentistry in a clinic, as in servering underpriviliged/poor people? Is so, then shouldn't most dental schools be good at clinical dentistry? Are there some schools that do not do clinical dentistry? Sorry, just a little confused on the term here..thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

th0mast33 said:
What exactly does it mean when a school (ie: Temple) says they are reknown for their "clinical dentistry"? Is clinical dentistry just dentistry in a clinic, as in servering underpriviliged/poor people? Is so, then shouldn't most dental schools be good at clinical dentistry? Are there some schools that do not do clinical dentistry? Sorry, just a little confused on the term here..thanks!

I think it has more to do with how the students time is spent. A more clinical school has the students spend more time treating patients while less clinical schools may focus more attention in the classrom and maybe on research as well.

th0mast33 said:

Clinical dentistry is the physical practice of dentistry, restorative, fixed prosthodontics, removable prosthodontics, etc.. non clinical things would be much of the didactic classes, especially classes like anatomy, biochem. Yes, all schools must be good at clinical dentistry--that is what they train us to do. Some people believe their schools focus more on these things than others. They have usually not been to other schools to compare, though. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
th0mast33 said:
There *are* some schools that don't do much clinical dentistry, but they wouldn't be flattered to hear it said about them. ;)

I think it means that the school focuses more on the clinical side of dentistry...you know, that actual part of dentistry that creates your income??

Anyways, when Temple says that, I think it means that they focus a lot more on clinic rather than didactic. Now before all the Columbians come out with their "we are doctors, we should know all of medicine" bullcrap, I just wanna remind them that ever dental student in the US has to learn a certain standard of medicine deemed sufficient by the ADA and take the same National Boards. However, other schools go into much more detail/depth. But c'mon, did I really go into dentistry to learn the medicine of the feet?

So while they are learning about the feet, I would rather be in the clinic, practicing procedures that I will be responsible for in my career.

Also at clinical schools, you get much more exposure to the clinical side of dentistry early on. For example, in the preclinics at Temple during yoru first year, from January to July, you spend the entire semester doing nonstop crown preps, provisionals, gold crown fabrications, etc while at schools such as BU (where most of my undergrad goes to), you dont even start metal and PFM preps until your 2nd year!

All I gotta say is this. Unless your a natural, Practice makes perfect. At first, I sucked so bad at doing anything clinical, but at the start of my second year, the clinical stuff is getting much easier...why? Cause Temple has made me do the damn stuff 1000 times already!!!

Hey Wildcat...when I was talking to one of your classmates abotu all the things Ive done at Temple during my first year, she was so amazed....she didnt even know half the stuff I was talking about.

2 years ago, I got accepted to both kinds of schools, but for me it was a no brainer. In my opinion, dentistry is a clinical profession and I wanted my tuition dollars to go the furthest and get the most clinical exposure I can get during my 4 years.

You know a good example of a school that doesn't seem to clinically oriented is columbia. Now don't get offended anyone but just based on what they say about the school on the videos on their website makes it sound like you are not going to be getting a whole lot of practice time before they let you loose. The video I'm refering to talks about how they are more into quality clinical experience and not quantity. Any way to me it just sounded like I wouldn't be getting lots of time in the clinic so I didn't apply there. Of course with my grades I probably wouldn't have gotten accepted there anyway so maybe I'm just bitter, watch the video and decide for yourself.
Another school that doesn't seem very into clinical stuff is Harvard. My buddy who just got out of UOP said that during his second year he had already had tons of contact with patients and he called this girl he used to date that was going to Harvard and she said that she still hadn't seen a single dental patient and that she was doing rectal exams with the the med students.
Now clearly this is all hearsay so take it for what it's worth, but I'm with the guy from temple, the more time in the clinic the better.