Question about clinicals at Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tottihead

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. Im thinking about transfering into the 5th semester at Ross and I wanted to know a few things about the clinicals from students that are thereabouts now.

Firstly How is it? How is the setup in terms of lectures/ward rounds? Are the students involved, I mean are we allowed to take history and do an examination and then present to the doctor at which point we would discuss the case? or does it work some other way? Are the Ross students mixed in with US students or are these completely different hospitals? Overall is it similar to what the US students get in their clinical programs or is it more hands off and more like observing?

Any input would help a lot. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

bad idea....they do not enough spots for everyone as it is

Hey. Im thinking about transfering into the 5th semester at Ross and I wanted to know a few things about the clinicals from students that are thereabouts now.

Firstly How is it? How is the setup in terms of lectures/ward rounds? Are the students involved, I mean are we allowed to take history and do an examination and then present to the doctor at which point we would discuss the case? or does it work some other way? Are the Ross students mixed in with US students or are these completely different hospitals? Overall is it similar to what the US students get in their clinical programs or is it more hands off and more like observing?

Any input would help a lot. Thanks

Are you asking about clinicals during the fifth semester or in the semesters following that?

In any event, the fifth semester has some clinical components such as weeks spent working at an outpatient office, or a hospital ER etc. During my 5th I worked in anesthesia, pathology, and outpatient IM offices. At this stage you are only starting to learn "how to be" in a clinical setting. You may write scripts, take vitals, practice physical exam maneuvers, interview pt. etc. Your emphasis during the semester should lie on passing the clinical exam, and the final exam, and in not pis*ing off the Miami director or his team.

In clinicals comprising the 3rd and 4th year, the degree to which you get actively involved in patient care, is somewhat hospital dependent. Research the institutions where you are thinking of rotating. Talk to upper year students and get the "scoop" on various rotations. I have had rotations where I have worked 100+ hours a week,intubated, sutured, participated in codes, written a god-awful amont of notes, admitted,presented, discharged, delivered babies, and been called a "Fc*king ******" for asking a patient to stop doing drugs in the E.D. If its experience your after...you'll get plenty..just look for it.

Now, at the tail end of fourth year, I am enjoying the short, short days, sipping coffee looking at radiographs, MRIs, CTs and PET scans. As are the 3 NY area med. students rotating in our group.

Hope it works out. Good luck.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. I've done a year of clinicals at my current med school, and I havent been impressed with the hands-off appraoch they have here, not now anyway. But, this sounds like what Ive been looking for. Whenever you have time could you send me a PM of the hospitals you've been at and which were the ones that were laxed, and which were the ones where you get some real hands-on experience. Also which hospitals were good/bad in certain departments.

Thanks again for the input