Question About Community College Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hijacked

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd really appreciate some advice on this. I just actually discovered the option of becoming a DO, and I have to say I am extremely interested. I am currently enrolled in a University and going through my junior year, going for my bachelor's degree. My first two years however I attended a community college (financial reasons) and I took some courses, including science courses.

Because I transferred to a University, the only thing that transferred were the classes, but not the grades. Basically the university is giving me a clean slate and I am re-building my GPA.

My question is, will my GPA from the community college be considered as well as the grades at the University? I averaged about a 3.0 over at the cc, and I did get a couple 'C' grades in some science courses. I am working harder now that I'm in University and now that I know what I want to do as far as my career is concerned, and I have a ton of sciences to do still. Would it be recommended that I re-take some classes? Are retakes looked down on? Are they averaged as far admissions to become a DO is concerned? Are these courses from CC even considered for admissions, seeing as the University wiped them clean and just took the credit?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a somewhat similar experience. I attended evening classes for about one year before transferring to my university. Yes, even though your university doesn't factor the CC GPA into your university GPA, it will still show up on the AACOMAS application. (they will need transcripts from ALL institutions).

AACOMAS will straight up replace the grade, whereas AMCAS will average the two. I can't speak for how they view retakes. I retook two classes at the university level that I'd originally taken at a CC. I don't think anyone paid much attention, or at least it didn't hurt me. I'm sure if you replaced an outrageous number of classes it might raise some eyebrows.

Good luck.:thumbup:

As already mentioned, yes, all of this will be calculated in one pool when you apply to medical school, and AACOMAS is more GPA-friendly when it comes to calculating it than AMCAS.

If you do well in your remaining courses, end up with a solid cGPa and sGPA, and decent MCAT scores, you'll probably be fine (problem being, all of that stuff you won't know until you're already hoping to apply in the next cycle). Rest assured however, that a couple of Cs will not kill your application if all else is in good shape, as if a school sees that you have As and some Bs in every other class, and just a C or two in something like o-chem, assuming you have a decent MCAT, they probably won't care about the Cs. However, if you feel like they may hurt you and aren't comfortable with taking your chances and potentially having to retake the courses AFTER you were hoping to be in medical school, then it would be a good idea to just retake them and put your mind at rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hows ur science GPA looking? If its under 3.0, you might want to consider retaking some of the sciences courses that you got C's in.

I'm going to be graduating in May with a degree in Biomedical Science. However, I am spending 3 solid months this summer studying for the MCAT and am going to take it in September. Going to sumbit AACOMAS early in June so that when I get my MCAT scores back I'll be complete. I know it's kinda late but oh well, not going to rush my studying.

However, I have a 3.6 overall and probably a 3.5 science depending on how well I do this semester. I only have one C and it's in Physics I. I was wondering if it's a good idea to retake it over the summer and try to get an A. The problem is that I'm moving back home to Houston (Katy actually). So is retaking a pre-req after you graduate at a community college looked down upon? It'd be much more expensive to enroll in and pay for the class at University of Houston (not to mention an hour commute). Money is VERY tight.

Not sure what to do.

I'm going to be graduating in May with a degree in Biomedical Science. However, I am spending 3 solid months this summer studying for the MCAT and am going to take it in September. Going to sumbit AACOMAS early in June so that when I get my MCAT scores back I'll be complete. I know it's kinda late but oh well, not going to rush my studying.

However, I have a 3.6 overall and probably a 3.5 science depending on how well I do this semester. I only have one C and it's in Physics I. I was wondering if it's a good idea to retake it over the summer and try to get an A. The problem is that I'm moving back home to Houston (Katy actually). So is retaking a pre-req after you graduate at a community college looked down upon? It'd be much more expensive to enroll in and pay for the class at University of Houston (not to mention an hour commute). Money is VERY tight.

Not sure what to do.

people on this forum are gonna tell you different things. I am in a similar situation and have elected to take the classes at a Coummunity college because I simply cannot afford anything else.
I have contacted Touro-ny and was given a very vague answer which said you can take classes at any regionally acredited college but didn't say anything of how it would look. I'm taking my chances with Community College because I don't really have a choice, Bottom line is, if you get an A than it can't hurt. Maybe it won't help as much had you gotten that A at a University but I don't see how it could possibly hurt.

Not sure what to do.

Hi! I'm almost have exactly your stats. I'm going to graduate in December with a Biomedical Science degree (my gpa is a 3.5sci, 3.6cum) and going to take the MCAT in July, but submitting my primary in June. I would definitely retake it, there is no problem with taking pre-reqs at a community college (i was a transfer student, took my prereqs at a cc and now at a university) and my prehealth advisor told me it won't be a problem as long as we do good on the MCAT. I'm worried about not applying early because my stats aren't so great, but I really want to do ok on the MCAT. good luck!!

Hi, all. I finished my undergrad in Engineering, and currently having a full time job. Does it look bad if I go back to CC to take all my pre-med prereqs? I only have time during the evenings and weekends to take class, and the local university does not have those classes offered in the evenings. Also, I might have to take some online courses. Would online courses be frowned upon? Please help! Thanks!