Question about competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

at9009

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, question for all you wise ones out there :)

So, when I took step 1, I didn't do as well as I would have liked. Scored a 227. I'd say I'm about a mid tier applicant overall (and kinda seems to be the advice my advisor has been giving me). So I studied hard on step 2 and was able to score a 251.

I am interested in applying for IM to hopefully a solid mid to upper-mid tier university IM program (for example I like CWRU University Hospitals). However, I have heard that a lot of programs use a step 1 filter to cut down applicants (I've heard a lot use things like 230 or above, etc. Does my step 2 score help me be more competitive for more of the upper reach mid tier programs? Or if you have a good resource or know of good programs for me to read up on I'd appreciate that too :)

Thanks for all the help and good luck to all those who are also applying this cycle :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no expert, but I doubt you would get filtered out of many places in IM with a 227. I mean that's only a few point below the average of those who match IM.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm no expert, but I doubt you would get filtered out of many places in IM with a 227. I mean that's only a few point below the average of those who match IM.
Thanks for the reply. Ill just chalk it up to my anxiety lol.