Question about craniofacial fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr 90210

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wich programs are considered the best craniofacial fellowship?

How difficult is to obtain a craniofacial fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Dr 90210 said:
Wich programs are considered the best craniofacial fellowship?

How difficult is to obtain a craniofacial fellowship?

I have heard that there are only a handful of accredited craniofacial fellowships out there, though there are many others. While CF used to be very popular, everyone is saying that there is/will be a decline soon. With that said many of the "fathers" of CF are due to step down anytime now and new blood should take over.

I know CHLA has a great program, Pitt is also good i believe.

Plastikos said:
I have heard that there are only a handful of accredited craniofacial fellowships out there, though there are many others. While CF used to be very popular, everyone is saying that there is/will be a decline soon. With that said many of the "fathers" of CF are due to step down anytime now and new blood should take over.

I know CHLA has a great program, Pitt is also good i believe.

anyone have any idea about the surgical numbers at the "busy" craniofacial fellowships? How many lips, palates, speech surgeries, distractions, craniosynostoses, orthognathic etc. do the fellows get in 1 year?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is so varied. You might want to see if the RRC keeps those numbers, or search the craniofacial programs.
If you are in a program, ask your PD where to get the info. That's a tough question.
My mentor is extremely busy, but I would have no idea unless I made an appointment with him and asked. We don't have CF fellows.

But I am sure, if you are applying, you could send a letter to the directors and ask them if the information is public.
Good luck

scalpel2008 said:
anyone have any idea about the surgical numbers at the "busy" craniofacial fellowships? How many lips, palates, speech surgeries, distractions, craniosynostoses, orthognathic etc. do the fellows get in 1 year?

There is no accreditation for CF fellowships, hence, no RRC to keep track of numbers. There are plenty of fellowships available, but not much demand for CF in the outside world. The best way to find out about the different fellowships is to talk to someone who is in the field -- it's a pretty small community.

thanks for the responses, jocomama and maxheadroom. i'm an OMS resident currently on my CMF rotation with a CMF PRS. He doesn't have a fellow right now but has had in the past off/on. I consider his schedule to be fairly busy (about 30-40 craniosynostoses, 70-80 lips, 70-80 palates, 50 speech surgeries, 20-30 distractions, several lip/nose revisions, etc.) Just wanted to compare these numbers to the established fellowships in the PRS community. I'm going to ask him for some info as well. Granted reimbursement isn't the greatest, but these surgeries are gratifyng and challenging.