Question about declining a pre-match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whit95

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been offered a pre-match at a nationally ranked I.M. program and need some advice/info. It is my #1 choice out of the 8 programs that I have already interviewed with, however I still have 8 more interviews to attend, some of which are in my home state.

Does anyone know....if you decline a pre-match offer and decide to take your chances in the Match, will that specific Program still rank you (near the top, near the bottom, or not at all)? In other words, if I don't take the pre-match then am I kissing my chances of training there goodbye?

My stats: Caribbean student, excellent GPA and LOR's, 99/99 on USMLE exams. I am leaning towards becoming a hospitalist, so future fellowship opportunities are not such of a big deal for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been offered a pre-match at a nationally ranked I.M. program and need some advice/info. It is my #1 choice out of the 8 programs that I have already interviewed with, however I still have 8 more interviews to attend, some of which are in my home state.

Does anyone know....if you decline a pre-match offer and decide to take your chances in the Match, will that specific Program still rank you (near the top, near the bottom, or not at all)? In other words, if I don't take the pre-match then am I kissing my chances of training there goodbye?

My stats: Caribbean student, excellent GPA and LOR's, 99/99 on USMLE exams. I am leaning towards becoming a hospitalist, so future fellowship opportunities are not such of a big deal for me.

This is the problem with offers given outside the match. They force you to make decisions without all the info. This happens to people applying for GI fellowship every year. What makes you desirable right now is that they can lock up a slot and don't have to worry. Once you get into the match, you're competing with all the US grads who they will likely think about ranking ahead of you (especially since they will think that its unlikely that you'll rank them highly). I think you need to decide whether this is the place for you and, if it is, congrats, you've matched. If you pass, I doubt you'll end up there through the match.

There's no easy answer. If you turn it down, the program may:

1. Leave that slot in the match, or
2. Offer a spot to someone else, who might accept it and consume a slot.

Most programs will still rank you, although by not accepting the slot you're essentially telling them that they're not your #1 choice.

My advice is simple: Tell the truth. Tell them that they are your #1 choice but you still have some interviews to go, and see how long the offer remains open. Look at your upcoming 8 interviews -- are they all really better than this one program? If not, try to juggle your interviews (if possible) to get done earlier. Worst case, they'll not extend the offer long and you'll simply have to decide.

Good luck!