Question about deducting loan interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cardioverter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am about to enter my intern year and I intend to start making payments on a 20,000 alternative private loan through access group because it has a 8% interest rate. I'm confused about how paying the interest on this loan factors into my deductions because I've looked at similar threads and everybody seems to deduct just healthcare, dental, etc from their resident salary but never mentions this deduction. Would this be an itemized deduction that would need to exceed my standard deduction (when added with all of the other itemized deductions) to be worthwhile or is the $2500 max. interest deduction for education loans a deduction ON TOP of the standard deduction? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

So, I am about to enter my intern year and I intend to start making payments on a 20,000 alternative private loan through access group because it has a 8% interest rate. I'm confused about how paying the interest on this loan factors into my deductions because I've looked at similar threads and everybody seems to deduct just healthcare, dental, etc from their resident salary but never mentions this deduction. Would this be an itemized deduction that would need to exceed my standard deduction (when added with all of the other itemized deductions) to be worthwhile or is the $2500 max. interest deduction for education loans a deduction ON TOP of the standard deduction? Thanks :)

Student loan interest is an "above the line" deduction, which means you don't have to itemize to realize this tax savings. You do, however, have to meet income requirements, but this won't be a problem if your only income is your residency salary.