Question about DIY-Postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sampats

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I had a quick question and this may sound weird. If someone were to do a diy-postbac at a school other than their undergraduate school, and they never send their transcript to AAMC or acknowledge it on their application, how would med schools or AAMC know that person did a post-bac? In other words, couldn't you just not send your diy-postbac grades if they would hurt your overall GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Could you explain why you would not request a transcript from the institution where you did your postbac courses? I think the Application Guide expects all applicants to send appropriate transcripts as an issue of integrity.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I had a quick question and this may sound weird. If someone were to do a diy-postbac at a school other than their undergraduate school, and they never send their transcript to AAMC or acknowledge it on their application, how would med schools or AAMC know that person did a post-bac? In other words, couldn't you just not send your diy-postbac grades if they would hurt your overall GPA?
No. Just about every school in the country reports into a central clearinghouse, and this is checked as part of your application verification. As ethical as we all are, the temptation to game is apparently too great, and this is one of the resulting checks, along with a human checking each and every grade entry in your primary against a transcript submitted directly by each school, and then having transcripts submitted directly to whatever school you end up enrolling in. Plus background checks, dean's certifications, etc.

Getting caught doing this won't be as bad as not disclosing a criminal record until it appears on a background check, but, if your school is one of the ~90%+ reporting into the clearinghouse, the discrepancy will seriously delay your verification and transmission of your primary to schools. On the off chance AMCAS misses it and the med school picks it up later, depending on how bad the grades are, if could be fatal.

If that would be the case, I'd much rather know up frant than during orientation, or after classes begin. Remember, you sign a certification stating everything is accurate and complete. People "forget" one-off classes here and there, and report having issues getting it straightened out every year. Forgetting a post-bacc is something else entirely.

Last edited:
🤔 How bad was your DIY post bacc? What you are thinking about doing is really foolish and could jeopardize your entire career. And as @KnightbDoc said, you have to sign the primary attesting to everything you are submitting true. Don’t do something like this.