Question about DO acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smrdoc15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I have been accepted to two osteopathic schools that were not my top choices. I also have interviews at my state MD schools this coming week. The problem with the DO schools is that they need a deposit to hold my seat by this week. I have decided I would rather attend my state MD schools, and believe I have a good shot yet my MCAT is a little low. If I don't get in I'm willing to boost my verbal score and reapply. My question is... do allopathic schools see where you got in/applied as far as osteopathic schools go?

Members don't see this ad.

So... I have been accepted to two osteopathic schools that were not my top choices. I also have interviews at my state MD schools this coming week. The problem with the DO schools is that they need a deposit to hold my seat by this week. I have decided I would rather attend my state MD schools, and believe I have a good shot yet my MCAT is a little low. If I don't get in I'm willing to boost my verbal score and reapply. My question is... do allopathic schools see where you got in/applied as far as osteopathic schools go?

Nah, the schools won't know, but DO initial deposits are expensive (to avoid what you're doing right now), so if you put a deposit down, and go with the state MD school, you're probably gonna be out around a grand. Personally, if you aren't comfortable going DO, you can always beef up the MCAT and reapply if this interview doesn't go well. Keep in mind that there are people out there who want those spots though, but no one is going to fault you for potentially eating a grand/maximizing your options.

I would eat the grand and go on the interview. An interview does not equal an acceptance and I wouldn't want to take a year off. DO=MD anyway, even if you do prefer MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would eat the grand and go on the interview. An interview does not equal an acceptance and I wouldn't want to take a year off. DO=MD anyway, even if you do prefer MD.

Yes. Too many variables. You might not get accepted, you don't know if you can beef up your MCAT significantly, you don't know how MD schools will react to you being a reapplicant.

A year off wouldn't bother me, it actually may be nice for me to get some work experience. For me it's not so much the MD/DO as it is having my support network close to me. If I accept DO I'm moving halfway across the country. My state school is a hour away. I'm not really looking for advice as far as that goes because I've made my decision to pursue my state schools- my only question is if allopathic schools will know if osteopathic acceptances?

Well you have to ask yourself if you don't get into your state school(s) would you move and go to the DO school you got into.

If yes, then eat the deposit.

This makes me think you've already made your decision about not attending a DO school.

But think of it this way, how much money will you spend next year if you retake the MCAT and reapply? More than a grand. If it were me, I'd be sending a deposit to whichever DO school I liked better.