Question about domicile? PLEASE HELP.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennis Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
So, I'm a Georgia resident that has an in-state school asking for proof of domicile. I have lived in Georgia my whole life basically and my parents address is my permanent address, but I have worked a full time job from December to January in California (got let go unfortunately) and went back and forth from California to Georgia but am now working part-time in California, since the middle of June. The proof of Georgia domicile form asks, if I've worked a full-time job listing the state I worked in, so now I'm wondering, if I have to put that job I worked in or not? Will this affect my Georgia domicile status because I'm believing it should not, but does anyone have firsthand experience with this? Thank you all so much for all of your time, patience, help, and consideration. It is all greatly appreciated!!!!! ..... ☺️

Members don't see this ad.

Looks to me like you changed your residence from Georgia to California by working there full-time for a year and continuing to live and work there after you lost that job. I don't see how you can leave a year of full-time work off your resume.

Reactions: 2 users
Why do you even think that you can leave the Cali jobs out? I have no idea if you’ve lost your residency in Georgia but you just probably did. Please let us know what happens for future reference. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit confused. Was this December to January, in other words, 2 months? Was it a temporary assignment that took you away from Georgia but with the intention of returning "home"? Or was this December to January more than a year later, in other words, 54 weeks or more?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm believing it should not
This is one of those times where what we believe really doesn’t matter. You should look up the specific language the school uses to determine the domicile status of its applicants. The language is quite technical but will spel out what does and does not qualify. In the event that it states that you are not a resident, do not attempt to leave holes in your work history. It will come back to bite you when you file taxes etc and fraud has very real consequences.

Reactions: 2 users