Question about EC’s: OK to list website of business you are involved in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get an opinion. Helped start a family winery. Involved in every aspect since day one, minus website formation.
I guess I should ask is this a good thing to list as an EC considering we do participate in the sale of alcohol? My guess is people will say yeah list it, which leads me to the next question.
Do I list our website? You can buy the wine through this website so I don’t want this to seem like a shameless sales pitch. Also I was not involved in the creation of this website.
Thanks for the opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

narc said:
Just wanted to get an opinion. Helped start a family winery. Involved in every aspect since day one, minus website formation.
I guess I should ask is this a good thing to list as an EC considering we do participate in the sale of alcohol? My guess is people will say yeah list it, which leads me to the next question.
Do I list our website? You can buy the wine through this website so I don’t want this to seem like a shameless sales pitch. Also I was not involved in the creation of this website.
Thanks for the opinions.

List is as an EC but don't list the web site. I can't speak for all but from what I've seen at social events, most adcom members drink wine. :) It certainly sets you apart -- I can't think of one application I've seen that included winery development among the EC.

LizzyM said:
List is as an EC but don't list the web site. I can't speak for all but from what I've seen at social events, most adcom members drink wine. :) It certainly sets you apart -- I can't think of one application I've seen that included winery development among the EC.

Thats what I am shooting for :)
The only reason to list the website is to show this is a legit business that I am not making it up. I am not mentioned on the website but my family is.

Members don't see this ad :)
narc said:
Thats what I am shooting for :)
The only reason to list the website is to show this is a legit business that I am not making it up. I am not mentioned on the website but my family is.

If someone thought you were making it up they might (if they have too much time on their hands or were really suspicious) would google the name of the winery and there they would find the website.

Odder things have been listed. If someone says they sold hotdogs at a baseball stadium for 2 summers, how are you going to check on that in November? Much of the ECs never get checked on except that they are fair game at the interview.

narc said:
Thanks for the opinions.

Just out of curiosity, where is your winery? How many acres of land (assuming you are using all of it for grape growing) do you need for a vineyard? I know these questions might sound really random, but I was talking with a friend about this the other day and we were thinking ~20 (but we actually have no idea). I think that seems like a cool EC--I also dont think there is any harm in putting the website on there. I think it sounds like you are proud of what you have accomplished. If admissions people aren't interested then they don't have to look at it... just my opinion.

LizzyM said:
If someone thought you were making it up they might (if they have too much time on their hands or were really suspicious) would google the name of the winery and there they would find the website.

Odder things have been listed. If someone says they sold hotdogs at a baseball stadium for 2 summers, how are you going to check on that in November? Much of the ECs never get checked on except that they are fair game at the interview.

Would helping a family member start/acquire a business be considered an EC in general? I ask because I did this, and it took up a substantial amount of my time (I basically helped with all of the financial aspects of it, setting up accounting, etc.).

etf said:
Would helping a family member start/acquire a business be considered an EC in general? I ask because I did this, and it took up a substantial amount of my time (I basically helped with all of the financial aspects of it, setting up accounting, etc.).

If you did something that took considerable time during or after college, I'd say that you should list it. (Aside from caring for your own children or household.)

star22 said:
Just out of curiosity, where is your winery? How many acres of land (assuming you are using all of it for grape growing) do you need for a vineyard? I know these questions might sound really random, but I was talking with a friend about this the other day and we were thinking ~20 (but we actually have no idea). I think that seems like a cool EC--I also dont think there is any harm in putting the website on there. I think it sounds like you are proud of what you have accomplished. If admissions people aren't interested then they don't have to look at it... just my opinion.

Location is Auburn, Ca. That is about 2 hours east of Napa. Similar weather but perhaps a little more extreme in both directions (cooler in the winter warmer in the summer). We have some 5+ year old vines and 20+ year old vines. Depends on how much you want to make and more importantly how much time and money you have. Making wine is by no means cheap.
With ~20 acres we make ~1000 cases a year. Our goal is not profit but quality wine. I don’t think we will ever produce much more than we do right now. It’s a great hobby and it is really filling my parent’s time in a positive way, as they are now both retired.

P.S. changed the name, wasn't working for me.

I agree with most here. List the EC. Don't list the website (it's not like they're going to have time to go look at the website anyway, and even if they did look at it, it doesn't show anything important about you).