Question about EC's, particularly research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbatsandwich

I like bats. I like sandwiches.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm still very new to all this. I still work part-time as the executive pastry chef of a fine dining restaurant, am starting a long-term volunteer position at a local hospital that is a trauma 1 center, and am starting to pick up nonclinical volunteer opportunities whenever they become available. My question is more about the whole research aspect... Part of my major involves a semester of research and intensive writing about said research. I don't suppose that would be enough? I'm older, married, have multiple rental properties to deal with and we're going to try for our first child in a year or so. Between working two shifts a week, volunteering two shifts a week, taking a full-time course load (pretty rigorous too, I'll be taking microbiology, immunology, virology, molecular biology...) and dealing with familial responsibilities, I just don't see how I'd have any time to do research (past what is required for my major), maintain an excellent GPA and be able to study enough to slay the MCAT. Thoughts? Thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

Research is not a deal breaker. It would be a different story if you planned on pursuing MD/PHD or a research-heavy school. Focus on having the best GPA and most competitive MCAT score as possible while accumulating hours with clinical and non-clinical volunteering.

Best of luck to you.

Research is not a deal breaker. It would be a different story if you planned on pursuing MD/PHD or a research-heavy school. Focus on having the best GPA and most competitive MCAT score as possible while accumulating hours with clinical and non-clinical volunteering.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your response!

Reactions: 1 user