Question about EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rls303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I had a few trivial questions about entering in my work/activities section on AMCAS.

I volunteered at a plethora of clinics since high school (some for a few days, some for months, and one that I have been consistently working in). Should I label the individual clinics, or would simply putting in "Volunteering in Various Clinics" suffice?

Also, I understand that unless you held some time of position on the board of AMSA, it is not worth mentioning. But, I am a member of a club that does volunteer work and I have participated in numerous events. I just did not have the luxury of applying to be a full time executive board member. Should I still omit it completely?

Also, I mentored my brother in his school and spent time volunteering there, although that was more than likely less than 30 hours and it was through various different grades since he had a learning disability and needed extra attention.

Is the fact that I helped my family a lot during my college career also something worth mentioning in my work/activities section? I commuted about 35 miles with traffic to save money and be able to help my aging parents raise my two younger siblings. I have slightly mentioned this in my PS, but I was wondering if it is valid to note in the EC section.

Lastly in regards to the contact info, for the "volunteering in various clinics" could I simply leave that portion of the application blank, since it would be various names?

I'm sorry if these are minor/stupid questions, my mom and dad are separating at the moment and I'm helping them make arrangements and thus haven't had the most time to prepare apps.

Thanks for any help whatsoever, it is truly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

" Is the fact that I helped my family a lot during my college career also something worth mentioning in my work/activities section? I commuted about 35 miles with traffic to save money and be able to help my aging parents raise my two younger siblings. I have slightly mentioned this in my PS, but I was wondering if it is valid to note in the EC section."

This should be mentioned in the PS, but it doesn't really count as an EC.

---
"Lastly in regards to the contact info, for the "volunteering in various clinics" could I simply leave that portion of the application blank, since it would be various names?
I volunteered at a plethora of clinics since high school (some for a few days, some for months, and one that I have been consistently working in). Should I label the individual clinics, or would simply putting in "Volunteering in Various Clinics" suffice?"

This probably should be under one heading, with all the various clinics and contact info that you have in the description. I would say only put the major ones, not every clinic that you volunteered at for a day.

---

"Also, I mentored my brother in his school and spent time volunteering there, although that was more than likely less than 30 hours and it was through various different grades since he had a learning disability and needed extra attention. "

this sounds like something for the PS, or secondary.

----
"Also, I understand that unless you held some time of position on the board of AMSA, it is not worth mentioning. But, I am a member of a club that does volunteer work and I have participated in numerous events. I just did not have the luxury of applying to be a full time executive board member. Should I still omit it completely?"

If it was significant to you and you could describe it and draw on those experiences, then you should include it.

I pretty much agree with the advice above. As for the clinics, do not include the ones you only did for a few days. It will just come off to an adcom as you trying to boost your resume. Just add the ones that you were really dedicated to. Also, do not add the clinics from high school unless you continued work at those particular clinics in college. If it did not carry over into college, adcoms could care less what you did in high school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I volunteered at a plethora of clinics since high school (some for a few days, some for months, and one that I have been consistently working in). Should I label the individual clinics, or would simply putting in "Volunteering in Various Clinics" suffice?

i only put ones i consistently worked at. if i had short stints at clinics for a good reason (and if it was meaningful), i would just lump it under one activity and explain why it was so short.

Last edited:
. If it did not carry over into college, adcoms could care less what you did in high school.

Quick related question. I did taekwondo for 6 years starting from 7th grade and stopped in 12th grade when I got my black belt. It held a significant role in my formative years (teaching me dedication and leadership) but did not carry on into college. Could I put this down as an EC? Please someone clear this up for me. I'm still in my second year of undergrad but can't practice tkd anymore due to time and financial reasons ($144 a month) but would brighten up my non-medical related ECs.

Last edited:
Quick related question. I did taekwondo for 6 years starting from 7th grade and stopped in 12th grade when I got my black belt. It held a significant role in my formative years (teaching me dedication and leadership) but did not carry on into college. Could I put this down as an EC?

i personally would not.

hmm..what if I just told them I continued through college? I would still have the knowledge and experience to articulate if they asked me any questions about it.

First of all, I definitely wouldn't lie in this process. It could come back to bite you in the a**, even when you are a practicing physician (in which case they will take away your license). That's a tough question though and I don't have the answer. The reason it's tough is because there are a few choice accomplishments that can be put on apps for life. For example, I am an Eagle Scout, so I've always been told to put it down forever (even by an adcom I know and a former adcom as well) even though I received the award when I was 15. The issue for you is, I don't know if having a Black Belt follows you forever like being an Eagle Scout does. I would think it should because that's a huge accomplishment, but I'm not an adcom.

Last edited:
you can always put it under your hobbies without listing dates. is it something you can practice on your own right now?